Help Required for new beginner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good day all,

I have just moved home and have inherited a garden pond with a selection of different sized and coloured goldfish. I am a complete amateur but would like to maintain the pond, which at the moment is not very clean. There is small amounts of moss growing on the surface but lots of green growth under the surface.

I am worried for the fish and would appreciate any ideas on how to start cleaning the pond up of this growth. There is no pump......so the water is stagnant.

Any help welcome. Thanks

KF

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
At the very least you need a pump. It doesn't have to be super-expensive. To start you could just put a fountainhead on a pump, toss that in there and you'll at least be introducing some oxygen into the water. When you say you've got "moss" growing on the surface, do you mean gross, slimy pond scum?

As to the algae, you can get algae out using a soft rake, that'll take most of it out. You can net out the surface crud with a pool net.

There are differences of opinion here on a product called D-Solv. I love the stuff. Grab some of the powder form, follow the instructions and that should take care of most of the decaying matter that's probably lying in the bottom of the derelict pond. One hell of a lot easier than emptying it, cleaning it and filling it back up.

It would also help to know where you're located and the general dimensions of the swamp you're starting to play with.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
A pump, plants, and a filter are the three biggest needs. If you have them, the water will be much better than what it currently is, and the pond will mostly take care of it self. Actually, without a pump, I'm surprised the fish are alive.

If you don't know where to begin, just ask questions and people on here can help walk you through it.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I would try to net out the stuff that is floating on the surface. The green growth you speak of under the surface is it resting on the liner or is suspended in the water floating below the surface? What area do you live in, what is the temp of your water? You don't want to feed the fish until your water temp is 55 degrees. You need to get a pump and get the water circulating asap! Give us some more details such as size of your pond, your general location and a pic of the green algae and moss you are describing will help us diagnosis for you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
If the water has been stagnant for awhile, add some fresh water and add dechlorinator. If you place the hose, so it splashes into the pond, it'll introduce some oxygen to the water.

If you can share some pictures of your pond, we'd be better able to make some suggestions. Definitely be thinking about a pump. Lots of folks here make DIY filters.

Welcome to ponding!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At the very least you need a pump. It doesn't have to be super-expensive. To start you could just put a fountainhead on a pump, toss that in there and you'll at least be introducing some oxygen into the water. When you say you've got "moss" growing on the surface, do you mean gross, slimy pond scum?

As to the algae, you can get algae out using a soft rake, that'll take most of it out. You can net out the surface crud with a pool net.

There are differences of opinion here on a product called D-Solv. I love the stuff. Grab some of the powder form, follow the instructions and that should take care of most of the decaying matter that's probably lying in the bottom of the derelict pond. One hell of a lot easier than emptying it, cleaning it and filling it back up.

It would also help to know where you're located and the general dimensions of the swamp you're starting to play with.
Many thanks, yes it is green pond scum not moss. Looks like I will be down the garden centre at the weekend to buy a few things. There is an outside electricity supply not too far from the pond so presume the previous owner installed this. Shame he didn't leave a pump! Will follow your advice regarding pump/fountainhead till I find my feet. Not heard of DSolv but it sounds the easier option.

I'm in Oxfordshire and the pond is round with a radius of about 12 to 14 feet. Looks about a metre deep in the middle. My wife spotted a heron in there this morning at about 6.30. Do I just need a net for protection or are there better deterrents? Thanks.

morewater

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Well, my friend, if there was a heron in there this a.m., you might not have any fish to worry about. One heron can clean out a pond in no time. Maybe you got lucky, after all, if those fish have been in there for a while, and given your pond dimensions...............

Nets aren't expensive.

Make sure that if you're going to put a pump in there that you use a GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter) so that you don't end up a crispy-critter, water and electricity don't make great companions. There are in-line GFCIs available if you don't want the expense of installing one right away. Get a pump with a decent length of power cord. If you need to use an extension cord, make sure that the connection between the cords is taped and put into some kind of a protective casing (ie. plastic box).

You might be better off getting a decent sized pump to begin with. Your pond is about 3200 gallons, so in my opinion you'd most likely need something in the range of 1750-2500gph (gallons per hour) to move half your pond volume every hour or so. Bigger is always better.

Anything you buy that has "pond" written on it will cost you twice as much. That's the premium you pay for not being a McGyver. For a "pond" net, get a swimming pool net.

Here's the D-Solv. In Jolly Old England, there's probably something that does the exact same thing. Always follow the directions (unless you're driving and your wife is in the car with you, real men don't need maps and don't get lost, we merely take "shortcuts").

You should drain some of the water and then replace it with fresh tap water. ADD DECHLORINATOR or you'll kill your fish. Remember, your dosing amount will be for around 3200 gallons. Recheck it. There are lots of sites on the 'net that do pond volume calculations. You can use the pump to empty some of the existing pond water, or just set your garden hose up to siphon (assuming you can run downhill).

Have Fun. Wait 'til you see how much crud comes off the bottom. Get that net ready!

CrystalClearD-Solv.gif

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well, my friend, if there was a heron in there this a.m., you might not have any fish to worry about. One heron can clean out a pond in no time. Maybe you got lucky, after all, if those fish have been in there for a while, and given your pond dimensions...............

Nets aren't expensive.

Make sure that if you're going to put a pump in there that you use a GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter) so that you don't end up a crispy-critter, water and electricity don't make great companions. There are in-line GFCIs available if you don't want the expense of installing one right away. Get a pump with a decent length of power cord. If you need to use an extension cord, make sure that the connection between the cords is taped and put into some kind of a protective casing (ie. plastic box).

You might be better off getting a decent sized pump to begin with. Your pond is about 3200 gallons, so in my opinion you'd most likely need something in the range of 1750-2500gph (gallons per hour) to move half your pond volume every hour or so. Bigger is always better.

Anything you buy that has "pond" written on it will cost you twice as much. That's the premium you pay for not being a McGyver. For a "pond" net, get a swimming pool net.

Here's the D-Solv. In Jolly Old England, there's probably something that does the exact same thing. Always follow the directions (unless you're driving and your wife is in the car with you, real mean don't need maps).

CrystalClearD-Solv.gif
I checked the pond and there was still fish after the heron's visit! The lack of oxygen is my concern now so I must act quickly. Thanks to everyone for the good advice.

morewater

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I checked the pond and there was still fish after the heron's visit! The lack of oxygen is my concern now so I must act quickly. Thanks to everyone for the good advice.

You might want to look into getting yourself an aerator. You can get them at any aquarium store. Get a good sized one, two outlet ports, enough hose and two airstones (the bigger the better). Put the aerator into a plastic box, cut some holes for the power cord and the air lines. Toss in the stones and turn it on. Voila, oxygen.

Again, this stuff is pretty cheap (and you can use it in the winter to keep a hole in your ice). Double duty.

I'll make you the same offer I made to Priscilla. Pay my airfare, food, laundry, bar bill, I'll come over there and do it all for you. You won't even have to get dirty. LOL

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum Kevin.
I dug my first pond last summer so consider myself a newbie. So I will leave the advice to the more experience ponders here.
I can tell you that I love my pond and it is very addicting! Much help and knowledge offered here. All you have to do is ask. :)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
hand_writing.gif
to our group! All of the above advice is good, Ask as many ??'s as you need to we will all help you as much as we can

Reaction score
not sure if my calculations are correct but...
3.14 * (radius * radius) * depth * 7.5 = volume US gallons
3.14 * (14*14) * (3.3) * 7.5 = 15000 US gallons?

first thing - get a GOOD idea of the dimensions of your pond then use any online calculator to determine YOUR volume in UK gallons - bear in mind that the US gallons are smaller than UK gallons (3.8 vs 4.54)
From there the rest of the advice here is spot on -
you need oxygen in the pond soon;
a net to stop the heron - obviously he's there looking already

Aeration will help with algae - both floating and on the sides
Also - once you get time - do take photos - everyone here loves photos!

Once you get your feet under you - i would take an accurate-ish count of the fish you have and the kinds... when you feed them - wait for them to come eat - they will slowly get used to you being there and you can begin to get an idea of what you have - their sizes and their nature...
some like flakes, some like floating pellete, some like sinking - but size the food appropriately for the size of the mouths of the fish :)
good luck - from someone who was born in Oxford :) and is also a newbie to ponds (since Nov 2013)
This forum has been a GREAT help - come right back and ask the questions :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good day all,

I have just moved home and have inherited a garden pond with a selection of different sized and coloured goldfish. I am a complete amateur but would like to maintain the pond, which at the moment is not very clean. There is small amounts of moss growing on the surface but lots of green growth under the surface.

I am worried for the fish and would appreciate any ideas on how to start cleaning the pond up of this growth. There is no pump......so the water is stagnant.

Any help welcome. Thanks

KF
Hi everyone,

Got myself a pump and fountainhead and the water has cleared really well. I have pulled out a lot of the stringy algae on the surface and what is reachable underneath, but a fair amount remains on some stones around the edge. The fish went crazy about 10 minutes later, some even jumping out of the water. Think I must have disturbed some tasty food morsels for them. Anyway, I have been on websites looking for D-Solv but it seems you can only buy in the US and I am having trouble locating anywhere in the UK that sells it. Can anyone help?

Got myself about a dozen fish I reckon, not sure if the Heron took any though. Not sure why he is interested in my little pond when he has the River Thames right on the doorstep. Is the water warm enough now for me to start feeding the fish?

On a steep learning curve!

Thanks KF

Ask a Question