Help required

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I hope this is the correct place to post, if not please let me know where to re direct to.

I moved into a new house back in August, and the back garden isn't the greatest. There is an uneven part which we have since discovered is where a pond used to be. I've no idea how far under the "grass" it is but am aware that the heavy plastic sheet is still under there. I plan to dig it up, remove the plastic and depending on what's under there, properly fill it in. This is where I need so advice.

If there is all sorts under I gather would remove and replace with soil? The area I live in is clay soil, I read somewhere that if I'm filling with soil it should of the same type?

There are other jobs I plan to do, lay slabs, paths etc, so plan to dig up other parts. Would it be acceptable if instead of trying to put the dug up soil into bags to transport to the recycling centre, could I use it to fill the pond? I would make sure I take top layer off with the "grass" and weeds on it only to use the soil and stones etc.

Any help appreciated.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am no expert - but, that is what I would do - although as I work I would remove rock - depending how deep you have to dig to remove the liner, you might add a layer of rock to the bottom for drainage and then cover with soil. Also if your soil is lacking, as you are doing the work it would be a good time to mix in peat moss etc... in the areas you plan to plant.
to be completely honest - I would probably rebuild the pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
you don't need to remove the liner per say. make a few holes in it and I'm not talking 1/2" I'm talking large holes. tears.

the problem with using clay tobacco fill is it it gets wet . its a nightmare. can you of course. Compacting the soil is the challenge if it got wet. it turns to soup when you try to compact it but once it is done and compacted. its fine.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the advice, I probably should have mentioned that the over plan is to level off the whole area and re seed it to have a large patch of grass. I planned to scrape the top level off all the grass area, have it level with where I have filled the pond to, then a fresh layer of top soil on top so it's all level and greener.

Ask a Question