Help Sick Koi

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all, first post new to the forum. I've had a koi pond for 8 years now, 2 years ago I finished my second pond, a 60,000 gallon natural swimming pool that my koi also called home. I've lost two fish in the move. And I fear I'm going to lose another. I've had all my fish for eight years now and it's heartbreaking to lose them. The first I lost to a blue heron, the second seemed like it had a broken back, it still got around even from the 7-ft deep part to the 3-ft shallow part and would eat. One day I found it in the fish-safe skimmer though. The one that's sick is probably my favorite koi. She's a big butterfly koi and has been on the bottom of my pond for the last 3 weeks. She's bent at an angle and doesn't swim anymore. I moved her into the house today to keep a closer eye on her. Physical observation of her is she has some minor thin rot from sitting on the bottom no physical parasites. I'm not sure what else to tell you. If you need more information please ask and I can get it to you. I'll attach a couple pictures if that'll help. The last pictures the only one I've got of the pond. I can upload some later. any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.
IMG_20200119_155658.jpg
IMG_20200119_155646.jpg
IMG_20191118_150549.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Welcome Kentuckykoi, but sorry it's fish troubles that bring you. What a beautiful butterfly koi and v very sad to see it in it's current condition. Do you test your water for ammonia, nitrate, KH etc? Knowing more about your pond might help us better help you.

Your pond / natural swimming pool is beautiful . Am I correct that your fish have been in this pond for the last two years since you finished it? Sometimes fish with bent backs have been shocked by an electrical current, is this possible?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our forum!
That is a beautiful pond you built!

I will let those that keep koi help you. I don't have koi.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Ah she's a beauty! Has she always been that bent or is it getting worse?

Your pond is fantastic!

Reaction score
Country
United States
No the bend started maybe 4 weeks ago, it's new and it seems like she can't straighten herself out. That's something completely new. Like I said she's at least 7 years old and I've had no issues until here recently.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1579539284175.gif
@Kentuckykoi
So very sorry on your koi issues and hoping someone here can give you some light on the subject to help your poor fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Have you recently had a storm, where this fish could have been struck by lightening?

Reaction score
Country
United States
The pond docks up to the house. If we had a lightning strike we would have heard it. I read that in another form too. And since I had another fish that was bent at a sharp angle, I thought maybe it had a broken back, I checked the pond out again and there's no way it could have got shocked that I can find barring an electric strike that somehow I missed right next to my house

Ask a Question