Help spawning bettas

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I need some advice on spawning a pair of Halfmoon bettas. I went through all the necessary to get them ready to mate and the male has blown a bubble nest and is trying to get the female to follow him to it but the female does not seem interested.Any help would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I need some advice on spawning a pair of Halfmoon bettas. I went through all the necessary to get them ready to mate and the male has blown a bubble nest and is trying to get the female to follow him to it but the female does not seem interested.Any help would be appreciated.
Did the female's coloring change to vertical barring? Sometimes you need to separate them and start fresh after a week or 2 without them seeing each other. What kind of setup are you using?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hey there @Ginmary! We’d love to hear about your pond and experience with fish! It’s always nice when someone with experience signs on! You can post in “introductions” (I think that’s the name of the topic).

Reaction score
Country
United States
As I mentioned in the private message I don't have personal experience breeding betta fish.

I do know from reading info in books or online that they need to be conditioned for a while prior to attempted mating (which is usually done in separate tanks but near each other so they can see each other) increased water temperature, feeding frozen blood worms or live foods, and keeping water super clean (which may mean daily water changes) are all things that have been recommended.

I think a lot of it will be trial and error. You're going to have to try different things and see what works for your fish and situation. The main thing I would mention is that breeding bettas can be dangerous to your fish. Keep a close eye on them and know when to separate them before they end up injured badly or worse.

And don't forget to have lots and lots of jars on hand if this works out for you :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Live foods help. Put out a bowl of clean in chlorinated water, for like a week, till you see mosquito larva swimming. The fish love it! Feed them a few to condition them every day, but watch that they don’t over eat. Use a dropper or spoon to catch small amounts. I had a beta eat itself to death on them.

Ask a Question