Help: Tips to build a waterfall

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a preformed liner already in the ground, and have another smaller preformed that is going to become become my waterfall weir. The small liner is about 4 feet away from the larger liner and will be connected by a small stream, the smaller liner is placed about 1.5 - 2 feet higher than the lower liner.
I have built the berm for the waterfall and the stream, and have got the rocks too. Here are my questions..

1) Do I start stacking the rocks starting from the lower liner or do I start from top as I build my waterfall?

2) Do lay the flat rocks first or do I do the sides first?

3) I read somewhere that the flat rocks need to tilt a little towards the back of the waterfall so that they pool a little water on each step. Is this true? every waterfall I see has the rock tilting forward.

Is there a video or an article that can provide a newbie with some detailed information on building a waterfall/stream?

thanks,
xman

Reaction score
I would put down the flat rocks first. I used cinder blocks under the liner were the flat rocks will be installed to give me a nice flat surface to install the flat rocks. I would then start at your lowest point which is closest to the bigger pond and work your way up. This way you are stacking the rocks some what on top of each other to gain height.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i would dig a small reservor in each step of the falls if you want pooling and the front of the reservor slightly lower than the rear and sides to allow for your flat stone. put the liner down.. then the flat stone.. then some river rock in the pool areas ..then the cosmetic stones last.

Ask a Question