Help to remove algae and green water from a pond.

Reaction score
Help to remove algae and green water from a pond.
The pond has the following characteristics:
- The volume of the pond 900 cubic meters or 3.42 million gallons
- The pond area of 500 square meters
- The depth of the pond to 1.5 meters
Pond inhabited by trout. Trout - 400 kg

Water pumped from wells. Analyses of water from the well showed that there is little excess weight of iron and hydrogen sulfide.
Initially, the water in the pond, I cleaned with hydrogen peroxide. It is not expensive and the current means of purifying water. But lately, she stopped to help. Green water becomes turbid.

Below you can see water in its current state.
Advise me how to quickly and effectively solve my problem.

IMG477.jpg

All photo
https://picasaweb.go...feat=directlink

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Plants, filters, aeration all will help. There is no quick fix for algae and green water. You can see the bottom so it is not too bad at least in this picture.

Reaction score
All right. And if you follow this procedure:
1, add the water bacteria (wait for 2 weeks)
2, add the water and flocculant precipitate floating algae
3, add hydrogen peroxide to oxidize the algae which

Then add just the bacteria.

Heard of UV lamps and IonGen whether it makes sense to use them?

Reaction score
Very interesting video, Koiguy.....don't have time to look up the web site.....wonder how much it would cost to install one of those large systems in Urfin's pond...........

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yes it is very interesting. Would think it would be expensive. Just looked it up on his site and says for 100' or less it's $1445.00! Not fitting my pocketbook but if one had a huge pond and big bucks then go for it. For ponds up to 600' it will cost ya $2445. w/ the float attachment.
Shipping is free.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
What would be the logic for artificially suppressing algae in a large fertile natural pond assuming the trout are being fed, the pond has a shallow configuration which favours algae, the water quality is constantly off balance and algae is the only stabilising influence.

If the object is to raise trout, does clear water help... Is it realistic to apply pricey chemical and mechanical water treatment only to find it makes it easier for herons, kingfishers to hunt, to enjoy a more convenient sushi bar...

Regards, andy
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21940871@N06/
http://swglist.wordpress.com/

Reaction score
Man with whom I spoke says to me: son THIS PRODUCT DONT WORK!!! I meen ultrasound.
Realy? Why many people before as and after as not use this product in they pond, maybe man that say me that say true.

I was searching a price of this product "Ultrasound algea control". The smallest cost was nearly 1200 $

The many quations of this "Ultrasound algea control"

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
When a pond is well planted with suitable aquatic plants, 80% of a ponds fertility can be depleted within a couple of weeks in Summer, crushing algae. The bio mass of plants providing an ample source of nibblies for trout, bugs and crustaceans that perty plants encourage.

No need to let free floating and filamentous algae have it all their own way, or the resellers of quack short term fixes

Regards, andy
http://www.flickr.co...s/21940871@N06/
http://swglist.wordpress.com/

Reaction score
UV is 100% effective in a short time. I can't imagine how many you'd need, maybe $10,000 US worth. You could compute the amount as all UV define flow rates. But I think it's unrealistic.

Every other solution is hit and miss.

Flocculant doesn't precipitate floating algae like the sellers say. Clumped algae floats. Clay particles clump and sink. Flocculant form clumps for short periods, you need filters to remove the clumps quickly.

Adding bacteria would have to be the right kind of bacteria, they would need a home, and the algae has defenses against bacteria so they might all be killed any ways. The bacteria that kill algae are naturally occurring, there's no need to buy it. Given the right conditions they reproduce fast. Without the right conditions they die, no matter how many you buy. Doesn't hurt anything to add it if you have the money to waste.

I'd put the best odds for this size pond (lake) is as long a stream as you can manage. That would provide the best possible chance for algae killing bacteria to grow and a place for string algae which also can kill green water algae. It also increases the contact algae has with the sun, which is a weak UV filter, but can have the same effect long term. In combination, and probably some other factors we don't know about, it can turn the tables on the algae.

I have heard of cases from knowledgeable people who said a new stream cleared your type of green very fast, but there are certainly lots of cases of it never working.

Of course if the pond clears you will then probably have to deal with string algae. But that's another day.

Ask a Question