Help to save my fish - rather urgent

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have a well established garden pond and 3 Koi and lots of goldfish.
I have one or two weeks only before I move house and the new owners do not want the pond, so I agreed with a neighbour to take my fish (the new house does not have a pond and it will be a low priority to put one in).
I thought that the problem was sorted with the neighbour taking the fish but I have now discovered two goldfish which appear to have a disease ( although they are active they have very large stomachs).
Naturally the neighbour does not want to put infected fish in his pond so I am stuck.
If it comes to the worst and I just cannot find anywhere to put my fish can anyone suggest if there is a chemical I can put in the water that will put them to sleep as I could not bring myself to kill them physically. Obviously this would be the final option.
Can anyone suggest an alternative please?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Can you post a picture of the two fish?

Reaction score
Large stomachs? Is it possible they are just full of eggs? Either way, why not catch one and have it examined to be sure? Even if they appeared healthy that wouldnt be a bad idea, especially if your neighbor doesnt have a quarantine tank.

Another thing to consider would be giving them away to someone who does have a quarantine tank. Just put up an ad, have someone come pick them up for free at their own risk. Better than killing them IMO.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
If they need to be put to sleep you can put them in a freezer

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I agree, as a last resort, put them in ice water, then put them in the freezer. The ice water puts them into a state of hibernation and the freezer takes care of the rest.

Reaction score
How big are these 2. If they are gold fish cant you just put them in a fish tank to take with you. Would hate to see them get offed if the are just preggo. If not they will probably go anyway so let nature take its course

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
another way to put them to sleep is clove oil, Once they are sedated then ice water and freezer, But try and do the responsible thing, Find them a good home, place ads in the paper, post online, try finding a local koi club, or find someplace that sells pond equipment and ask can you put a Free to good home card up. Surely someone would like to get free fish.

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have to say to start with that I am impressed with the reples.
Thank you guys.
By way of an update the largest of the two goldfish that I quarantined died today, the other one still seems perfectly healthy but I will keep it isolated for now to keep my eye an it.
I have been online and I can see that I am able to hire/purchase koi holding tanks. Its a relief to know that there is another option to my dilemna and I will probably get one and take the fish with me to the new house, that way I can continue to keep my eye on them for disease and I can quickly construct a pond which will see me through until the garden is straight.
How long should I leave the water filling up the tank until introducing the fish to prevent problem with chloride?

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
glad to hear you found a better solution! I like that idea far better!!!! New water should be allowed time for the temp to stabilize to the air temp, I really recommend placing it in as much shade as possible, be sure and keep a cover over them of some type, when introduced to new home and new water they are VERY likely to jump. If possible use the filter from your pond on the new setup so you'll already have a working bacteria bed, Also if you can use some of the original pond water that would be great too. dechlor works almost instantly but if possible waiting at least a hour or two or longer would be better, The longer the water can circulate and aerate the better, the more stable the temp and and water quality is and the closer that you can match where they are being moved from to where they are being moved to the better also.
Again, I'm really glad you found a alternative solution rather than having to euthanize them.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
That's great news Ian and looking forward to seeing your new pond and the old fish swimming around happily in your care :confused:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Way to go Ian! Look forward to you being around this group of crazies.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Ian, Do you think the goldfish might have swim bladder disease? Usually you see this more with fancies. It happened to one of mine one time and the fish swam upside down until it got better. The best way to cure it is to feed the goldfish veggies.

Ask a Question