Help - two pond pumps died on same day

Reaction score
Hello All (first post please go easy on me). Small koi pond in South Florida (came with the house) with approx. 10-15 goldfish and koi and about 200 gallons capacity. I went away for 4th of july weekend (4 days) and returned to have -both- of my pumps (a Beckett 800 GPH waterfall pump and a small ultraviolet sterilizer - not sure of brand) not functional. However, the UV light inside the sterilizer is still working (both the UV light and small pump are connected to a surge protector because I ran out of outdoor outlets for the pond, Beckett pump was not connected to surge). My mind leans toward a lightning strike or other surge of electricity that got both pumps, but I'm confused why the UV light still works? The Beckett pump is only 9 months old, but of course I can't find the receipt for any warranty service. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
get the model number off the pump but most becket pumps only come with 30 to 90 day warranty .You could call becket or go back where you bought it from also .I buy laguna for the energy savings .How big and deep is the pond and is the pump big enough for the pond .It could be that your pump could have been forced to work to hard on an undersized outlet .What size is the breaker and is it tripped or loose .Did you register the pump for the warranty .

Reaction score
The pond is approximately 6' long x 3' wide x 1.5' deep although it is a jelly bean shape and varies a little in depth. I will post pictures soon. Waterfall is approx. 2 feet high. Not sure which breaker goes to that outside outlet. Any specific Laguna pumps you recommend based on these numbers? Will be in the market for one this weekend.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
If you want 1 pump you could go with a 900 gph they sell them on ebay

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
surprising your pond is not deeper and laguna pumps come with 3 year warranty ,I would check your electrical panel .I bought 2 laguna pumps 1 is a 2900 gph and supposed to use 130 w=atts of power but hit it's sweet spot at 100 watts and 2400 gph one is at 75 watts

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi. Welcome to gpf and sorry about your pumps. That is a lot of fish for a 200 gallon pond. You might want to find a new home for your koi and some of the goldfish. At 6x3 your pond can hold about 18 inches of fish using a formula of 1 sq ft per inch of fish, If they are average size 3-5" fish then about 3-5 medium size fish max unless you have great filtration.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Have you tested the fuses made sure there's nothing stopping the impellors etc, if so and they are under there garentee then take them both back ad exchang them.
Also ask the place where you bought them from what could have goe wrong with them both they may well know

Dave

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help everyone. The UV pump was happily replaced by the local small business I bought it from (check plus to local businesses!) and I purchased a new filter pump. I also appreciate the advice on the number of fish - I'm going to look for a new home for the koi and many of the little guys to give the fish more space to move around.

Ask a Question