Help Wanted: Water Dispersion for Filter System

Reaction score
Hi folks!

I have my filter system pretty much designed the way I want it, but I have one piece that I would like help with. I have some ideas, but would like to hear yours if you don't mind. I will describe what I am attempting to accomplish and if you have any ideas, please chime in.

I will be running a 2" ID PVC pipe between each filter barrel under gravity flow conditions. The first stage will be a multi-chamber gravity-flow settlement and solids seperating tank.

The outlet of the settling tank will feed a mechanical filtration vessel. The mechanical filter will consist of several layers of Matala Media stacked vertically in a short HDPE barrel with the bottom layer being a 300 micron SS mesh screen. The water will trickle down through the Matala media and out through the SS mesh.

I desire the incoming water from the settlement tank to be evenly distributed and dispersed over the top layer of the Matal media. AKA a spray or dribble bar. I am therefore looking for a plumbing system which will accomodate that task. If you have any advice and ideas, i would like to hear them. I have a few ideas of my own, but I would prefer something more simpler and more effective, so I need more heads and brains to provide some input here.

Thanks,

Gordy

Reaction score
Catfishnut said:
Hi folks!

I have my filter system pretty much designed the way I want it, but I have one piece that I would like help with. I have some ideas, but would like to hear yours if you don't mind. I will describe what I am attempting to accomplish and if you have any ideas, please chime in.

I will be running a 2" ID PVC pipe between each filter barrel under gravity flow conditions. The first stage will be a multi-chamber gravity-flow settlement and solids seperating tank.

The outlet of the settling tank will feed a mechanical filtration vessel. The mechanical filter will consist of several layers of Matala Media stacked vertically in a short HDPE barrel with the bottom layer being a 300 micron SS mesh screen. The water will trickle down through the Matala media and out through the SS mesh.

I desire the incoming water from the settlement tank to be evenly distributed and dispersed over the top layer of the Matal media. AKA a spray or dribble bar. I am therefore looking for a plumbing system which will accomodate that task. If you have any advice and ideas, i would like to hear them. I have a few ideas of my own, but I would prefer something more simpler and more effective, so I need more heads and brains to provide some input here.

Thanks,

Gordy
Please post a diagram showing the complete system including the location of the pump with expected flow rates.

thanks

Reaction score
Randy,

Easier said then done... All my system schematics and diagrams are done the old school way, with a 4H drafting pencil and paper and a scaling ruler, not on the computer. I will have to find someone with a scanner so that I can digitalize the image and upload it. I tried taking camera pix of the diagrams with my cell phone, but that don't work so well. I have to draw them in dark black ink so they show up and that is a pain and they still aren't that great.

For now, let's just say that the flow rate is going to be a non-pressurized 350 gallons per hour through a 2" ID PVC pipe. When that pipe enters the mechanical filter barrel, I want to disperse the water as evenly as possible over a 21.5" diameter mat of Matala media. My only current idea is to tap off of the main 2" pipe with numerous smaller pipes and drill "dribble" holes in the bottom of them all. I'd have to make it like a Christmas tree of Tee's with large holes to accomodate the flow rate.

Another idea would be to just let the 2" pipe free flow into the filter vessel and onto the Matala media in one general area. As that area plugs up, the water will find another route further away and continue to do so until the entire media is plugged and has to be cleaned. I don't know if it really makes any difference, but I would like the water flow to be evenly distributed across the filter. It just seems more effective and proper.

Gordy

Ask a Question