Help! Water not flowing evenly through PVC pipes

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi All, I haven't been posting, but I've sure been reading! I need some help before I pull all my hair out.
I just finished this pvc filtration pipe for a new active gravel filter. There is an area leading to the left side is where I had to manipulate it to fit over a root. I did use 90* sweeps for best water flow.

I Hooked my 1900 gph pump up and water will only come out of the right side. Did I cut the slits too large? Is the slight raise over the root causing it?? What is wrong???
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_0014.JPG
    IMG_0014.JPG
    283 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_0021.jpg
    IMG_0021.jpg
    476.2 KB · Views: 230
  • IMG_0025.jpg
    IMG_0025.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 225
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I think the water will have trouble climbing over that root. It will take the path of least resistance. If the pipes didn't have any slits at all, anywhere, then the water might make it over that hump depending on the pump's pressure. But the slits offer a path of least resistance.
I would rework the pipes so that both legs are on one side of that root.
And about that root...I wonder if it's a bad idea having that root under there? Maybe it's no big deal, I don't know. Hopefully someone here will chime in on that.
Referring to the first picture, why don't you just move the hole over to the right a bit to avoid the root?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hmmmm... good thinking outside the box. It's not a newly dug area, I just deepened an already dug part of the stream bed. That root has been there over ten years - just not so exposed. I will have to see if I can increase the hole on the opposite side in order to remove that root from the equation. My husband thought of installing a ball valve to let more water flow to the left side than the right, but I like the simplicity of less moving parts. Thank you poconojoe!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Yes, simplicity is the way to go. Why take a chance with uneven flow? Water will take the path of least resistance.
Plus, you don't want to be disappointed with the results or function, then have to take it all apart and do it all over again. Build it right....build it once.

brc

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
I don't think you need to change anything at all, except maybe drill or cut one more little hole at the very top of the hump, so you don't get an air bubble trapped there. The flow will be completely different after it's all put together.

I'm guessing the pipe will all be below the water level, so going over the root wouldn't actually make any difference.

Reaction score
I don't think you need to change anything at all, except maybe drill or cut one more little hole at the very top of the hump, so you don't get an air bubble trapped there. The flow will be completely different after it's all put together.

I'm guessing the pipe will all be below the water level, so going over the root wouldn't actually make any difference.
I really don't think that is going to work. It's not an air bubble it's the fact that the water has a closer way to exit than going to the end of the pipe evenly.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you everyone for all your suggestions! I decided to change the shape of the bog and cover that root so i could have a "normal" filter. I think this will work much better and I won't worry about what is happening under all the pea gravel.

Attachments

• IMG_0036.JPG.jpeg
    IMG_0036.JPG.jpeg
    168.9 KB · Views: 220
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
If it seems water is coming out only at the front, that will most likely be solved when you add gravel and plants, thus restricting flow in that section (and the rest of it).

Ask a Question