help with algae please

nlb

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, I have a apprx 3000 gal pond that we made that has been up for about 3 years now. This started last year, and this algae comes around in springtime (now) and then goes away in summer. I have an Aquascape filter that has uv block on it but is there anything else I can do? Just did more than half water change in the last couple weeks. any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you. We live in Arkansas zone 7a IMG_2726.JPGIMG_2727.JPGIMG_2728.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome to the GPF!

Green water in a pond is what's often referred to as "new pond syndrome". Before a pond has chance to mature, you often have green water in the spring. But a few questions might help get things moving in the right direction for you.

How many fish and what kind do you have in your pond? Are you using any chemicals or products? Do you have plants in the pond?

One suggestion - no more water changes. Every time you add new water, you set your pond back in it's quest to get in balance. I'm personally not a fan of UV filtration - I think it just leaves you with dead algae in the water, which just feeds more algae growth. But some people use them and swear by them. It may depend on what kind of mechanical filtration you have I guess.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
More plants in the pond! I am having the same problem with my ponds, only plants in ponds are lilies and bogs are just getting started. Get a childs plastic fan rake and scoop the green stuff out.

Reaction score
You have string algae and a UV light won't help with it. I use sodium polycarbonate (got it on eBay) and it works wonders on the rocks. I have heard that you can put it directly in the pond but I'm not sure of the dosage. It doesn't hurt the fish at least it doesn't when spreading it on the waterfall rocks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
More plants. If that is string algae, I read on here about using a pond only new toilet brush to gather it, but it has it's purpose too, to use up excess nutrients in the water. Until then, removing it won't stop it, it will just come back. More plants to use up the excess nutrients will starve it out. Its all a part of nature's filter, so water is safe for fish.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
More plants, less nutrients (IOW, cut back on feeding your fish), and get a clean, unused toilet bowl brush (or whatever works) to manually remove what you can. Otherwise, don’t fret over it. It happens this time of year.

Excess nutrients, aided by the springtime sunshine is the cause. Remove the source (more plants, less feeding — you get the idea).

nlb

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you! I have bunches of lilles and grassy stuff, some bottom plants also...the problem is lots of floating plants that I like are not allowed in this state because they are invasive. I do have goldfish in my pond but I don't feed them (maybe some in summer but not much at all). I will turn off the UV then if it doesnt work. Any plant suggestions for my state would be great!!! oh and I have used some stuff called muck off or something like that but haven't seen much results.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I filter with only plants, zero string algae and green water. When I built this pond I built a nice huge bog to filter it. pea gravel and plants

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Please don't use any chemicals. I don't know what muck off is, but it sounds like some sort of algaecide. Some people have had dealy results when adding algaecides. If you're trying to clear up your water, do it naturally by adding plants and make sure your filtration is adequate.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I believe its Muck-away. Sludge dissolver used on lakes and larger ponds. Bought it by accident and have tried it. Haven't seen any good from using it.

nlb

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes that's what it is Muck away...natural no chemicals...but I really don't see a benefit either. I'll work on it, buying more plants today and I do have a bog area also. this is my second pond built. Bigger than my first. my first I never had this problem and it was also naturally filtered...but it was in GA. I also filled this pond using well water, don't know if that makes any difference but was wondering....

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Yes that's what it is Muck away...natural no chemicals...but I really don't see a benefit either. I'll work on it, buying more plants today and I do have a bog area also. this is my second pond built. Bigger than my first. my first I never had this problem and it was also naturally filtered...but it was in GA. I also filled this pond using well water, don't know if that makes any difference but was wondering....

No the well water won’t make a difference unless you are doing regularly scheduled water changes, which in a well balanced pond is unnecessary and even counterproductive as there can be things In your source water that will feed algae growth.

As others said plants and also proper circulation (1.5-2x pond volume per hour)so plant debris can be removed by your filter system. This will all contribute to no algae at all ever.

You said you had a bog how is the water fed to it and setup, up flow bog or is it just kind of a static area/ planting bed that is incorporated into the main pond you put plants in. The most effective bogs are upflow where water is pumped in through either slotted pvc pipes or a centipede and the water then flows up through the gravel feeding the plants planted in said gravel.

plant suggestions would be ones that grow quickly whether it be their roots or by just spreading. The quicker they grow the more nutrients they pull from the pond. Iris are good but be careful on your selection some can get out of control if not regularly pruned back. Water celery, water forgetmenot, bog bean, marsh marigold, creeping Jenny, canna ( if treated as an annual depending on your zone) all grow quickly and will help balance your pond.

Ask a Question