Help with aquascape pond light kit

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I am looking at getting Pond lights and want to get ones that are fairly bright and the ability to change colors, so I was looking at the eight watt aquascape https://pondsonline.ca/aquascape-pond-and-landscape-8-watt-color-changing-spotlight.html

May be starting with one or two

I'm trying to figure out what other pieces I need to make a kit . I will get the smart hub but for the transformer can I get the larger one with the photocell (150 W) so I have room to expand?

Or will the photocell cause problems with the app/smart hub?

Thank you

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I am a HUGE Aquascape fan... however, I am not a fan of their lights. We've had nothing but issues with them in our 12 years of pond owning. We just have to have the transformer replaced yesterday on ours and it hasn't even been 2 years. Of course, there's only a 1 year warranty... They also had to replace one of the waterfall lights. Just not great for what they charge.

We had spotlights on our pondless waterfall - lasted one season. Replaced them the next year. Failed again in a year. We have them again and are hoping for the best.

We installed one of the color changing puck lights in our stacked slate sphere - LOVED it, so fun... until the remote stopped working. So we were stuck with the color it was on when the remote crapped out. And of course we were one month past the one year warranty... Then the light itself quit working. And it's not a cheap thing to buy or replace. Plus we wired it into the sphere and drilled a hole for it in the top... so it's kind of just there now as a fancy piece of nothing.

All that to say - I love my pond lights, but I can't recommend Aquascape, sadly. When we had our in pond lights replaced two years ago we talked to the pond contractor about this very issue. He didn't disagree, but since he's a CAC he's kind of stuck with their products.

Just one consumer's opinion, but as you can see we've given them LOTS of chances to improve. I'm just not seeing it...

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
HowdyFrog-1.gif
and welcome @jUggy87

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I opted for a cheaper imported set from Amazon and I've been pretty happy with them. It's been a year and they're still working, so it was a good 45 dollar investment in my eyes. Way cheaper than the big guys brand and the remote is still working :)
20220913_195046.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have the Aquascape lights I have been luckier than @Lisak1 fortunately. Lights are pricey that is true but i keep to the white lights. The colors just ain't for me. i dug the pond now going on 6 years and i have replaced 1/2 of the original lights. I have never tried the 8 watt but i will say it will light up the entire pond wheen it's new as my 3 watt do the same when they are new. i usually set up two 1 watt pucks on the waterfalls and 3 watt to light up the walls of the pond. below the water line.

The biggest fail with pond lights is placing them in the freeze line of your pond if you get 6 inches of ice in the winter then no lights can be in that zone.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I’m with @GBBUDD added light 4-5 years ago and not crazy about the changing colors. Haven’t had any crap out yet, but I bought decent ones and as long as they are kept below the freeze line they are fine.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We made that mistake when we built the pond - they weren't deep enough. (Would be nice if that little hint was mentioned in the packaging somewhere!) Most of our original in-pond lights cracked and were no good the second year. But the waterfall light kits, spotlights, etc are meant to be in shallow water or out of the water completely, so I"m not sure how we could have made those last longer.

This set was professionally installed so they are at the correct height. We'll see how long they last. I was disappointed that the transformer pooped out so soon.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I did have a transformer blow . I used the small one but I was still fat from its max . It died year two but now I'm on year 4 with the replacement so a little good luck bad luck.

Ask a Question