Help with attaching edpm liner to stone spillway

Reaction score
Country
United States
We have been repairing the spillway end if our pond/waterfall. There is a large flt rock in theboind that we believe was cantilevered off of the spillway. I have replaced it with a smaller stone.

The waterfall is lined with new edpm. I cannot find ANY instruction or suggested materials to attach the edpm to the stone.

Anyone have something that would work?
I really don't want to have the edpm liner extending over the stine into the spillway.

Attachments

• PSX_20190506_171108.jpg
    PSX_20190506_171108.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 209
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I really don't have any good advice on this one. I honestly think it's going to be an exercise in frustration - those are two materials that are not really made to bond to each other well. But here's a thought - can the spillway sit on top of the liner and then you use some waterfall foam at the spot where the water would flow from the liner to the spillway to force it to go over rather than under? Just thinking outside the box here.

What's the source of the water?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I really don't have any good advice on this one. I honestly think it's going to be an exercise in frustration - those are two materials that are not really made to bond to each other well. But here's a thought - can the spillway sit on top of the liner and then you use some waterfall foam at the spot where the water would flow from the liner to the spillway to force it to go over rather than under? Just thinking outside the box here.

What's the source of the water?
It' s a recirculating small pond and stream. Water goes from the pond into the pump, to the top of the stream and flows back into the pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here's a pic from the filter outlet to,tje spillway and another ofnthe entire pond.

Attachments

• 0507190855.jpg
    0507190855.jpg
    308.5 KB · Views: 258
  • 0507190854a.jpg
    0507190854a.jpg
    303.5 KB · Views: 207
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Ah... gotcha. That's a tricky transition. Is that spillway cemented in? Technically the EPDM should go under the spillway and overlap down the pond wall under it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, it is cemented in. Of I can remove the end stones and place the edpm under them what and how do I seal the junction between the stones and the edpm?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
The problem is you really can't get a reliable seal. That's number one. Number two is there's nothing that says your stone spillway will hold water.

Has this been a functioning stream and waterfall in the past?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes. It was functioning some time in the past, before we purchsed the house. The people who owned the house before us neglected the pond and it was in disrepair. The previous liner ran over the stone but it was so ugly. If there is no way to get a good deal, then why would the tecnically correct way to fix it be to run,the edpm under the spillway?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yes. The EPDM should go under any waterfall rocks. And that liner should extend down into the pond to prevent any wicking of water out of the pond. Then you can use waterfall foam to direct the water to go over the rocks rather than under.

If you aren't in anyway devoted to that spillway, I'd just pull it up and build it correctly.

Ask a Question