Help with confirming my plan to winterize my plants

Reaction score
Country
United States
Was just looking for someone to help confirm that Im on the right track with my plans for winterizing my pond and bog plants when the time comes. Im in Zone 6 (northern Nevada):

For my marginals (marigold, pennyworth, and hibiscus), Im going to cut them down to the crown and leave them where they are with the crowns just covered in water. They will probably freeze in the winter.

For my lilies, Im going to cut down all the dead growth and move them all to the deepest part of the pond, they wont freeze.

For my bog plants (horsetail rush, lizards tail, and pickerel) Im going to cut these down to the crowns. They will probably freeze.

I have a skimmer that runs to a waterfall, then through the bog and into the pond. Other pond owners in our area I've talked to leave their waterfall on all winter, Im going to try this as well but will shut it off if its an issue (ice damming, etc.). If I do shut down the waterfall (which supplies the bog) and my sand gravel filter (to be setup soon), will this affect the fish (koi) negatively?

Im currently setting up a sand and gravel filter that will help pull all the nonsense from the bottom to help keep the deeper area of the pond clean. Not sure whether or not to shut this down when the freezing weather comes but this will be setup away from the pond, and probably more prone to freezing. Typing this out, Im thinking I may shut it down just to be safe.

Really appreciate anyone's input/thoughts on this :)

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome.

I don’t usually cut anything back until spring. The old, dead growth helps keep the plant ”insulated.”

Tell us more about your pond? How big is it? What kind of fish do you have? Please post some pictures for us.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The pond is about 12' by 7', with the bog taking up about 15% or so of that. Its about 30" deep. I have 5 koi fish, they're pretty healthy, about 10" to 12". They've easily doubled in size in the 4 months I've had them.

Here are some pics, Ill post some more in the introduction section of the forum later. I learned just about everything about how to get to this point on this forum, so I think its a great testimony to the great folks here!

IMG-4393.jpg

IMG-4397.jpg

IMG-4396.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I’m more concerned about your plans for your koi - fish that size will quickly overwhelm your pond. If your measurements are correct you are under 1500 gallons. Koi are huge waste producers. They can easily suffocate over winter without good filtration, aeration and gas exchange. (Ask me how I know.) just generally speaking you are overstocked, but cold weather, ice and snow bring additional stress to a pond.

Your pond is beautiful by the way - glad you came out of lurker status!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I plan to run my bog and waterfall continuously. Even in freezing weather, they keep going. Sometimes with interesting ice formations. I added aerators last year and they help keep openings in the ice over the pond. We rarely get a freeze or temps low enough to keep ice on the pond for more than a few days in a row.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum!

Nice looking fish and pond.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Pretty pond. Your plan for your plants sound good. You will want to have some sort of aeration in the winter to keep a hole in the ice so that the bad gasses can escape. Some of us use an airstone placed 12" below the surface of the water or use a pond breather (which unfortunately has been discontinued).

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Congrads water clarity looks great.

Our as Stewart's most like to see.

5 koi is not over loading today but picture each one of them at 20 inches or more. Then you'll have a few issues, like where to build the bigger pond.

But as @lisa said koi are waste machines. It won't take long to see those issue start to show.

Ask a Question