Help with determining dimensions of new pond structure

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone!

I have been racking my brain for days now trying to figure this out. I am designing a new pond for my garden. It will be round and made of brick (I will be lining it with EPDM liner). But my real dilemma is the dimensions....

I was aiming for a 5 diameter pond. The person building the brick structure told me the walls will have to be 2 1/2 feet wide. My concern is that I will end up with a pond that will be mostly "wall" vs "pond". What I am wondering is if there is some sort of rule of thumb when it comes to calculating the proportions of wall vs pond?

Per my calculations (assuming a 5 ft diameter pond with a 2.5 thick wall) is that the radius will be 2.5 pond and 2.5 wall (or if you prefer 5ft diameter pond with a 5ft diameter wall). I think the proportions will be off? Shouldn't it be more "water" vs "wall"? I am scared it will end up looking like a wishing well...lol

Please help :(:(:(

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
why brick .Because those are really going to be wide walls .Great to sit on if sit on height but not to view the pond unless you are sitting above the pond .

Reaction score
Country
United States
why brick .Because those are really going to be wide walls .Great to sit on if sit on height but not to view the pond unless you are sitting above the pond .
I went with brick because it matches the house/style. But if this "wide" wall is going to create a problem I might reconsider it

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
u mean 2 and a half feet wide? why this thick wall is needed?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
pond is 5 feet around and walls will be 2 1/2 feet that is a lot of wall and like you said may look like a wishing well

Reaction score
Country
United States
u mean 2 and a half feet wide? why this thick wall is needed?
That is what I am trying to figure out. I think it is too thick. I am unsure why the brick guy is giving me that dimension. I don't see why it is necessary to make it so thick. Unless someone here can give me a reason that I am not thinking of.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
pressure from the water and freeze and thaw is what might be saying that thick .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
why not use concrete block with a brick veneer ,if you really want brick .I used retaining wall block .Also do it half below ground and half above so it will not be as intrusive a structure .Mine is built that way

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
I went with brick because it matches the house/style. But if this "wide" wall is going to create a problem I might reconsider it
hmm u can still view it if you keep wall 1 feet or 1.5 above ground it will match too or just few inches above to have border type with bricks . they do look nice with a fountain etc

Reaction score
Country
United States
pressure from the water and freeze and thaw is what might be saying that thick .

I am in Miami so the freeze issue isn't a factor. Leaving the pressure of the water as the only possible explanation.

Reaction score
Country
United States
hmm u can still view it if you keep wall 1 feet or 1.5 above ground it will match too or just few inches above to have border type with bricks . they do look nice with a fountain etc
Thats exactly my vision. See picture of what I am trying to accomplish

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 238

Ask a Question