Help with emergency cleaning procedure

Reaction score
Sorry I'm posting without doing research and searching first through the forum for my needed information. I feel I'm in an emergency and need answers fast.

The situation is that my father in law's pond is going sour. He's had the pond now for about 16 years and it's in need of serious attention. He lost 2 older Koi yesterday and another today. He started a couple days ago clearing out some foliage in the pond to make room for a bridge he's wanting.

Obvious issues are that there is way to much foliage and debris in the pond. In some areas the dirt is so thick it's to the surface. Near the pond is a couple black olive trees,,, so over the years the build up of leaves is very thick. I know these leaves can be very acidic. Main obvious indication is that the fish are constantly gasping and are always gathered by the hose dribbling water in the pond.

I'm not at all experienced with ponds but I can definitely see that the fish are very stressed with very bad water conditions. I want to recommend to him to remove all fish and completely strip the pond. I think we could do it in one day. The pond is maybe 10 X 16 and about 2 feet deep.

Can the fish be temporary kept in new 5 gallon buckets? He has well water attached to a water softener.

So what the procedure from here. He's had this thing for a long time but I believe he'll listen to my recommendations.

Thank you,
Devin

Reaction score
You don't mention the size of the fish, so 5g buckets seem small. You'd also need to drop an air hose into each bucket.

Grap a net on a stick and get out the crud. Don't worry about the water going cloudy. Sounds like a water change hasn't been done in a while. You should start with at least a 40% change. However without getting out the thick crud at the bottom of the pond, things will not improve!

Reaction score
majority of the fish are 6" to 8" and a couple around 12". Is it possible to do such a major cleaning without removing the fish? When it comes to water changes,,,, literally you have to drain 40% then refill? Can he turn up the volume on the hose he leaves trickling into the pond. I don't think it will over flow enough where fish could get out.

Reaction score
yes, you can! Most folks don't have a means to remove large fish. And a 5g container certainly won't hold a 12" fish. Unless you can find something bigger, you need to make do with the fish in the pond.

Ponds need a 20% water change every week--particularly where you live in a very wam area.

Yes, you pump out 40% and then refill. Make sure to buy a dechlorinator at your local pet store for the new water.

Ask a Question