help with green water please

Reaction score
hello there we have a pond that is 1200 gallons, and we cannot clear the green water in it. it has a titan 5500 1210GPH pump, with 2 uv clarifiers, 1 a 9 watt and 1 a 35 watt which are both inline, this then goes into a 4 bay vortex filter which has the vortex, brushes, japenese matting, biological cut tubes, then filter media.
the pond has another pump pushing the flow around so the water is not stagnent. and a silent large areator pump..

it is a koi pond with around 20 koi in it.

can anyone offer advice on what else i can do to clear it up.

i can put up pics of the pond, water filter setup ect if you would like to see it.

thanks alot

Reaction score
hi stroppy. no problems, heres a few i took earlier

08082010865.jpg

08082010863.jpg

08082010866.jpg

this is the colour of the water, any ideas?

08082010864.jpg

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
With the right balance of floating plants 60% or more, your green water will go away if you also have a good bio filter. I don't use UV and my ponds are crystal clear year round.

Reaction score
hi there

the uv bulbs are brand new i replace them reguarly

so is there any advice on what i could use to improve the water colour?

i will keep reading the forum for help. thanks

Reaction score
hi stroppy, no they are media rocks, i assume for a bio filter type thing.

should i revise my filter arrangement to filter finer particles? as looking at it now it is only really the japenese matting that is filter to a certain extent.

cheers

Reaction score
DrDave said:
With the right balance of floating plants 60% or more, your green water will go away if you also have a good bio filter. I don't use UV and my ponds are crystal clear year round.

Pond Myth #3. UV lights such as those in UltraKlear TM UVC are the best way to keep your pond water clear.

UV clarifiers are one of the ways to keep your pond water clear, but certainly not the only way, and arguably not the natural way. The fact of the matter is that if you have a pond that's naturally balanced, in which the aquatic circle of life is rotating the way that Mother Nature intended, you don't need UVC at all. In this naturalistic setting, the fish eat the plants, then produce waste that gets broken down (along with other pond debris) by aerobic bacteria that's colonized on the rocks and gravel below, and then it's taken back up as nutrition by the plants, continuing the cycle. A naturally balance pond is a low maintenance pond because Mother Nature is doing the maintenance work for you. Pretty good deal, don't you think?

There are several drawbacks to the UV solution though. First, No matter how intense, UV clarifiers don't affect string algae at all, and so this problem is not addressed. Secondly, after the regular large algae is killed, it generally falls to the bottom of the pond, biodegrades, and provides another wave of nutrition for another (often larger) algae bloom. If you're not careful, it's easy to encourage larger cycles of algae blooms by using a UVC. If your pond is unbalanced, the choices are minimal. The third, and most obvious drawback is that a UVC isn't cheap, and the bulbs usually require replacement every season.
© 2010 California Aqua Pros, All Rights Reserved

I do own a Laguna 55 watt UV however I believe there is a lot of truth in what DrDave is saying here. I would use mine early in the season to clear up a pea soup condition and then shut it off and rely on the natural balance of my pond.

Reaction score
the pond is pretty establised. is there anyway of getting this balance without waiting years? i just want to see the beautiful fish we have in there.

would starving some of the algea from the sun (ie a sheet) help out?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Regarding tinted water, you can remove color with activated charcoal filters. If you want immediate results, take the advice I gave a few posts ago. The one time I had pea soup, I cleared it in 48 hours after activating my Doc Filter that had 7000 cut tubes in it.

Ask a Question