Help with herons

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a farm pond about 60' across (fairly round) and 5 1/2' deep. I've had trouble with one particular heron for years. I've tried fishing line at intervals and then finally put a 4' fence around it with bird spikes on the top of the stakes. He would stand on the spikes and jump in. Now he just flies in and lands at the edge. (I always thought heron wouldn't land in water but they do). I have 2 fake alligators and he doesn't care. I just put 2 blue jean/flannel shirt/hats scarecrows in chairs but he doesn't care about them either. I've tried motion detectors, radio, floating shiny silver platforms. Again - NO. I put my fake heron up after mating season and he thinks it's his friend. I finally tried something that might be working. I got clothesline and cut to length to go from one stake to another at angles about a foot out from the edge. Put a zip tie, threaded a blank CD (they're so shiny), then another zip tie to hold it in place. Did this about every foot/foot and a half. So far it seems to be working (3 days out). If he tried to fly in I think his wings will hit the line and he can't move around the edge because the lines intersect. I just wanted to share this for anybody battling the same problem. Feel free to respond with any questions or other suggestions. I'm new to this forum so sorry this is so long a thread. I live in Capon Bridge, WV. I'll try to upload a few pictures. No - it's not pretty but if it saves my fish I don't care.

Attachments

• cd1.JPG
    cd1.JPG
    284.2 KB · Views: 158
  • cd3.JPG
    cd3.JPG
    261.7 KB · Views: 150

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our forum! If it works it is worth it. I had to hang a wide weave net over our pond to stop them. They came every day and fished for years no matter what I did, until the net.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1621192373656.gif
@lakeridge1983
I was gonna say put up a net but w/such a large pond that would be a fiasco. Looks like you may have found something that works tho. I have a similar kind of wide weave net up like @addy1 does and it works great! You may find you will need to string more of those lines w/the cd's across if he comes back and gets in again. They don't like their wings touched when flying.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome to our forum! If it works it is worth it. I had to hang a wide weave net over our pond to stop them. They came every day and fished for years no matter what I did, until the net.
well, he's back. tomorrow i'm stringing more line in between. i'm determined to beat him. pond is too big for a net. thanks.

Reaction score
Country
United States
View attachment 139008@lakeridge1983
I was gonna say put up a net but w/such a large pond that would be a fiasco. Looks like you may have found something that works tho. I have a similar kind of wide weave net up like @addy1 does and it works great! You may find you will need to string more of those lines w/the cd's across if he comes back and gets in again. They don't like their wings touched when flying.
well, he's back. tomorrow i'm going to string more smaller line in between the ones with the cd's. i'm determined. thanks for your reply.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
welcome to the group (I'm new, too). I'm in Florida and just had my first egret (like a heron) => pond encounter. I love birds, but not those individuals who want my koi for dinner. I have netting across the pond (8 feet square) for leaves and to foil herons. It worked! I think your idea with rope and CDs would work, and I've been told a fake heron decoy that you move around works (other Forum members will chime in), and here, a fake Canada Goose floating in the pond seems to work at a nearby pond about your size. Good luck.

Reaction score
Yes SarahT I have heard another Heron or bird decoy may help as well (fingers crossed! This one sounds sly)

Just a few other ideas:

- Motion activated sensor ... maybe a bright flashing light (maybe facing towards the sky rather then in the pond so it wont spook koi), water sprinkler or sound that may spook it, or something larger that may scare it off (google may have some good ideas)? They've got bird spooker's if you really wanna invest but youtube probably has some do it yourself ideas for cheap and easy

- Not sure if you do have any water movement or are able to. Not only good for pond and koi but helps reduce visibility for predators.

- Koi caves and various plants for more coverage that they can hide under (floating bushes/plants/taller things). Even cement blocks and stack a few to make a little cave for them under water - set it up so the Heron can't jump in and get them easily. Key idea is "hiding spots"

- Maybe set up a different area (nothing thats going to be too much work if you dont want that) but another place that could distract the Heron to a new spot far away from your pond.

- electric pond fencing?

- ultrasonic animal repeller?

good luck!!!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a 2 acre pond about 20' down a little embankment from mine with blue gill and bass but of course mine is easier pickins. My neighbor has a 3 acre pond (about 300 yds. from the 2 acre) so he has many other places to fish. He flies in so no type of fence works. I really appreciate all the suggestions. I can drive down with my mower and get right to the edge before he flies away. He's not afraid of any noise. I have a 2' diameter pipe in the pond where they can hide. He's just very persistent but so am I. I have a couple dozen canada geese that were chasing him but now that isn't working. Again, thanks for all the help.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I like your scarecrow sitting in the chair... even if it didn't scare the heron away. Good luck.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Herons are extremely patient and smart, they pretty much will figure out and ignore just about everything you put out to deter them other than a net.

Caves to hide in are fine but that usually works after it eats the first one,then the rest hide or if the fish keep hiding the heron will regurgitate into the pond to get the fish to come up and eat near it then it’s dinner time.

Ospreys hate herons and would chase them off , you need one of them nesting nearby, downside is of course though they eat fish too

Reaction score
Country
United States
Herons are extremely patient and smart, they pretty much will figure out and ignore just about everything you put out to deter them other than a net.
tell me about it. I spent 4 hours today stringing more line right above the water and then about 2 feet up. I'm hoping if he flies in he'll feel all the lines and leave. It's so frustrating when all you're doing is trying to protect your fish. I have a 2 acre pond about 20' down the bank from mine and my neighbor on the next lot has a 3 acre one. wouldn't you think he's try to find dinner there. But of course my goldfish are easy to spot. Luckily my pond is very cloudy (can't see the bottom at all) so he has to wait for somebody. Thanks for your advice. My pond is too big for a net or I'd definitely put one on it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I wish I could find the pictures, but I've actually seen ponds your size netted with large fishing nets. I've also seen large koi mud ponds that are netted.

I'll keep looking for some pictures to show you. I too love your scare crow :)

Ask a Question