Help with herons

waynefrcan

19 years ponding and hopefully 4 more!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Kill a deer to save a few fish, that is dumb as could be and wrong. I'd be reporting you to the wildlife service.

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Apparently not a person who lives with deer as they are many and are unavoidable in occatioonal loses. Agreed
True I'm in the city but lived on a farm for 5 years + Grandparents had a farm. As far as I can remember no one at any time did something stupid that killed a deer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
True I'm in the city but lived on a farm for 5 years + Grandparents had a farm. As far as I can remember no one at any time did something stupid that killed a deer.
@waynefrcan , if you re-read what he posted, the deer got tangled and died; @gliebig wasn't trying to kill the deer. Are you going to report addy too, when a deer slipped under her net and almost drowned? Accidents happen and there's no malice here. One could accuse all those coming to the forum and telling us how all their fish died after they put algacide into their pond. Stupid move? Those of us who know better would say yes. The hope is we learn. And if you read along, gliebig is getting a different net so a deer CAN'T get tangled and die again. So, perhaps perspective is needed here?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You are pushing it a bit far sir. Take it from someone who is around deer day in day out . they are animals they do not rationalize and deer especially don't believe what they see or hear alone they need multiple seances before they act . and in many cases it's too late

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
G.......n you're an idiot.
@waynefrcan , if you re-read what he posted, the deer got tangled and died; @gliebig wasn't trying to kill the deer. Are you going to report addy too, when a deer slipped under her net and almost drowned? Accidents happen and there's no malice here. One could accuse all those coming to the forum and telling us how all their fish died after they put algacide into their pond. Stupid move? Those of us who know better would say yes. The hope is we learn. And if you read along, gliebig is getting a different net so a deer CAN'T get tangled and die again. So, perhaps perspective is needed here?
Tangled and died because it was the wrong net and installed incorrectly. If I lived in his area a fish and wildlife Officer would be there so fast his head would spin. Take the time to think about actions that could kill wildlife, if not it's just stupid.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Let's take this down a notch - no need for name calling and insults on this one. I think the points have been made!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Let's take this down a notch - no need for name calling and insults on this one. I think the points have been made!

It's morons like that who ruin forums and drive away the good people while they stay and add nothing of value. Ya'll have fun. I'm out.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
It's morons like that who ruin forums and drive away the good people while they stay and add nothing of value. Ya'll have fun. I'm out.
I can't police people having opinions and discussing things - indeed quite a few of the posts following all this talk were backing you up! I'm just saying, no need to respond by swearing and insulting people (now deleted posts), just move on. We're all going to find posts we don't agree with.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently enlarged my Pond and it unfortunately attracted the attention of two Herons, one a Juvenile one an adult.
I lost one Gold Fish that was too big to swallow, found too late to survive, after the Juvenile had a go and thankfully the local Crows chased off the adult. I mean it was massive and without a doubt it could do great damage to my pond stock.
Searching for advice I stumbled upon what can only be described as an old wives tale...
The advice was to hang things of Silver around my pond.. I hung everything Silver I could fine... to date the herons have not returned and it has been several months now.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Hey I’m glad I found this thread. I have a small pond 20x6-8 feet depending on where you measure and a relatively small fenced back yard. I built the pond about 3 years ago and have half a dozen large goldfish in it. This year it has finally attracted a pair of mallards that were visiting daily but I haven’t seen them much the last couple of weeks. Yesterday we got a new visitor, a blue heron! And although he is beautiful and I love wildlife visiting the pond…I know what his intentions are! He came by 4 times yesterday and I yelled to scare him off each time. I was worried he would come during the night so I put a tarp over the water that covers about 2/3 of the surface to be a deterrent to him and to give the fish a place to hide under. Today I plan to make a fish cave out of some rocks to give them a more permanent place to hide but I’m distressed to read here that someone said they will only go in after the first one gets eaten. Thanks for all the ideas though. I was going to put a net up this fall anyway to catch the leaves that fill my pond every year, guess I’ll get it and put it up sooner.. lol
53B826A5-F995-4452-8FBB-77DD4C178AF5.jpeg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I myself have a hard time having a beautiful pond in the back yard and have to look at it through a net. Its just not my cup of tea. A product called scarecrows work pretty well .however they are not fool proof.
Then there is the approach to remove the flight path of the biirds. As state they are very large one of the lkargest and wether blue heros eagles or osprey they all have very different fishing stragity but they all have one similarity and that is they need a long take off take away the flight path and any way to walk up tp your pond and that should solve the problem.

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
You need to get a net that has large squares 2" - 4" and light weight thin material. I have 2" and Addy has 4". Once on they are not the eyesore you might imagine. They are the only thing that works 100%. Well that and a rifle.

Which reminds me to ask. Beautiful yes, but why are these monsters protected? Besides our beloved fish, have you seen how they kill ducklings and goslings? There are too many around for my liking!

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I wish I could find the pictures, but I've actually seen ponds your size netted with large fishing nets. I've also seen large koi mud ponds that are netted.

I'll keep looking for some pictures to show you. I too love your scare crow :)
A Donor?? Haven't seen that here before. Someone took my advice from 3-4 years ago to donate!

Ask a Question