Help with Inherited Pond

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I joined the forum today in the hope of receiving some advice and ideas on a pond I have inherited at my new home.
I used to keep tropical fish for a number of years, but have little to no knowledge of pond keeping.

The pond was built in 1998 and is approximately 4 metres by 3 metres and 1 metre at its deepest.

Inhabitants currently occupying the pond are 3 frogs and a large colony of fresh water shrimp under the rocks.

There is a small amount of duck weed and water Lilly, so a gardener tells me. There are other plants but as yet I do not know what they are, probably should wait til June to decide what they are and what to do with them.

Equipment
Oase Aquamax 10,000 pump in to Oase Bitron 25 UV steriliser (I think that’s the term) which flows in to two big filter boxes and out in to a water fall back in to the pond.

There is also a fountain, a Hozelock 4000.

I would like to stock UK native fish species, I would really like Sticklebacks (childhood memories), but as mentioned above, I have little knowledge on pond keeping, so not sure if I can keep them..
I would also like Native plant species or Edible pond plants..

Any ideas or advice would be greatly received.
I will post a picture of the pond when it’s not covered in snow and ice.

Thanks in advance

Devon_Miles

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Get a sturdy net, bucket and a pole with a hook on it. Wait for it to thaw, and start pecking away at reducing debris, leaves, muck, a little at a time

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
upload_2018-3-19_14-52-53.gif
@Devon_Miles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So after getting the waders on, and getting in the pond, it has been decided to drain the pond to clean it out.
As I stood in the pond the sludge and leaves came up to my knees, which is what led me to the decision. Blimey it doesn’t half stink!!

Attachments

• 32B3FCE8-CD9F-47A5-81E8-F02189BDA545.jpeg
    32B3FCE8-CD9F-47A5-81E8-F02189BDA545.jpeg
    373.1 KB · Views: 194
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just spoke to one of the neighbours about the pond, and they said that it hasn’t had anything done to it for 4 years or more!! That would explain a hell of a lot.. I think I have my self a big job.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You got a lotta mucking to do! Boy will it be nice tho when all cleaned up cuz that's a nice looking big pond. Don't use any chemicals, just haul out the gunk. No need to make it spotless either as the stuff on the bottom or walls does not need scraping off. It will be beneficial bacteria for starting up your newly filled pond. If your city water uses Chorine or Chloromine's to treat the water make sure to use a good liquid removal for those. If well water, better.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Cheers For the advice J.W
I shall just use some elbow grease.
Going to test the tap water this evening with water testing kit I have left from my tropical Fishkeeping days.. See what I am dealing with..
Should I leave the filter sponges and boxes as is to keep some of the good filter bacteria or clean them up too?

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Wow that is going to be a nice pond when you get it going again! If it were me, since nothing has been done with the pond for four years, I would clean the boxes and sponges. But as JW says, no power washing or chemicals. Just get the majority of leaves and muck out.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wow that is going to be a nice pond when you get it going again! If it were me, since nothing has been done with the pond for four years, I would clean the boxes and sponges. But as JW says, no power washing or chemicals. Just get the majority of leaves and muck out.
Cheers Cas

Ask a Question