Help with new pond please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have just built my garden pond (8x4’), I have filled it with water about four weeks ago but have yet to add plants and fish. I currently have a fountain running in it.
My problem is that it has suddenly turned very green with algae I guess helped by all this sunlight! When I initially looked into where to site pond online it stated away from trees in an open spot!!
So from all the info out there I’m getting the idea I need to fit a filter box, add some plants and be patient? Or am I missing something?

Any advice appreciated.

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Welcome!

Algae bloom is normal, and the bane of many ponders. Lots of good plant growth will help. Some folks build a bog full of plants next to the pond to maximize nutrient uptake and out compete the algae. No trees means less leaf litter in the pond and bright light is needed to grow water lilies and some other plants. An added biological filter will not reduce your algae but will reduce the nitrogen wastes from the fish. A bog filter will do both.

Is there a reason you have no fish yet? Making sure everything is running ok? The more you plan to stock, the more essential a biological filter is. How deep is your pond?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you JRS, I haven’t added fish yet as I was just letting the water settle / not rushing in! The pond is generally 2’ deep dropping to 3’ at the one end. I will go and source some plants next. Thanks for advice.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Just will add to the good advice you already received. Algae blooms are normal in new ponds, as the pond is starting to establish a balance and the base of the food web in the pond. Add plants and let it run its course, it will eventually clear.

Algae blooms are more about excess nutrients in the water than the amount of sunlight it gets. For example my current pond has an initial algae bloom when I first set it up years ago, once that cleared it has never had another algae bloom of any type be it string or free floatin. Now it does have a coating of algae/biofilm over the liner and rocks which is a sign of a healthy pond. It gets full sun pretty much all day. The reason it does well is the amount of plants that are in the pond, there is never enough nutrients to fuel any algae blooms.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Perfectly normal. New pond syndrome. As stated, add plants. The more the better.
If possible try to avoid using pots for your plants. This way their roots have easier access to the nutrient rich water.
You can buy or make mesh bags to plant them in. Or, some people position rocks to hold the soil in a semi shallow area. A lot of people use pure clay cat litter instead of soil, but you have to make sure it's pure clay and no purfumes or other additives.
There are also floating plants that don't need any soil or pots. They just float around and their roots just hang down in the water. Water hyacinths, water lettuce, water spangles, fairy moss are some floaters.
You can add a few inexpensive goldfish to get the cycle going. The plants, fish, sunlight... all part of the equation.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1588983515245.gif
@PeterK
New pond algae, just the way it goes.

addy1