Help with one hard spot on fish

Reaction score
hi all
i have a fish which keeps flicking off the bottom
when bones yer wife has naned all the fish comes cloes to the top you can see a single raised spot on his gills none of the other fish are doing this
i will try and get a pic uploaded later today
cheers for any info:cry:

Reaction score
pic of fish

Attachments

• bones.jpg
    bones.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 328
Reaction score
It is called flashing, when the fish does this behavior. If a fish does it every once in a while it is nothing. If it happens a lot, it is something.

Have you done water changes often? 20% every week or two?

I can't quite tell what that spot is--but it is clearly a raised bump. Have you tried using pond salt yet?

Reaction score
hi there
i have never done a water change but guess i should have done
and salt never had any put in the pond what does this do
i thought being fresh water fish they did not need any salt

Reaction score
oof! OK, if you aren't doing water changes, this is a fairly big problem. Your fish are pooping/peeing in the water and if you're not doing water changes, the water is probably highly toxic.

Start with a 35-40% water change if you've never done one. Make sure to do a 20% change every week (or every other week at worst). Get a test kit and test your water...figure out what your ammonia levels are, Ph, nitrates, nitrites, etc.

I would get pond salt and put in the proper amount for your gallonage. Yes, koi are freshwater fish, but pond salt is used when you have issues such as you have that cannot be easily explained. If the water quality it poor there is likely bacteria and parasites affecting the fish, so salt helps rid the pond of these nasty creatures and helps the fish develop a very thick slime coat to protect it.

Reaction score
hi
thanks for all the help so far
but i thought the filters cleaned the water so there was no need for water changes
but if i need to change water i will get on with it tonight
cheers again for help

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
Filters clean the water but only to a point..past that owner intervention is required. Especially if filtration is inadequate!.. Plus it renews trace minerals and such!

Reaction score
yes, filters clean the water by trapping crud, but that doesn't mean that the crud is outta the water. It's just sitting there in your filter media waiting for you to clear them.

Leave water in a bucket for a few weeks and what happens to it? It gets stale and icky. Even worse in a pond because fish are pooping in it. Water needs replenishing as it is in a captured state. I like to use the toilet bowl example: When you use the toilet, you flush afterwards to replenish and clear out the water. A pond is no different.

Ask a Question