Help with pipe connections to bog!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m building a small bog filter for my small (1000ltr) pond. But I’m very confused about connections and I have a leak.

I have a typical 25mm corrugated kink free pipe from pond pump.

The bog filter is made from PVC pipe. So the inlet is a 21.5mm pvc pipe.

I connected the corrugated pipe to it with pisces clips but it’s leaking. It really doesn’t seem very good to me. It’s very secure screwed on tight.

I was going to construct the inlet above the bog filter to catch leaks for this exact scenario but I forgot and it’s overhanging outside . I’ve solvent welded it all so can’t move it.

So I really need something secure/leak proof but I just don’t understand how these corrugated pipes can do that.

I read that I should get flexible pvc but when I google it it all looks like the corrugated stuff I have so am a bit worried about buying it online.

How does one connect a link less corrugated pipe to a pvc pipe leak free?

If I somehow do find a flexibke pvc pipe, how do those connect, same way with clips?

Next issue is I have a 43mm tank connector for the outlet. I’ve reversed it so I can have a pipe go off to the pond. But I realise I should have a pipe inside with homes that the water escapes through as I may get blockages if left like this. But it doesn’t accept a 43mm pipe the other side. I have pipe connectors that don’t fit. So what in earth fits into a tank connector that I can then attach to the pipe? The threaded side.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 3C79C376-BFB3-4767-97E4-C966407B3AE7.jpeg
    3C79C376-BFB3-4767-97E4-C966407B3AE7.jpeg
    156.4 KB · Views: 32
  • 309C1B09-1AAA-4D2D-91CA-4F640A54A01E.jpeg
    309C1B09-1AAA-4D2D-91CA-4F640A54A01E.jpeg
    143.2 KB · Views: 32

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Flexible PVC pipe connects with other PVC pipe, using the same fittings, but double-check on the solvent weld, as I believe that some types work better with flex PVC than others do. I’ve also had good luck using FERNCO connectors (for PVC to PVC, not for the corrugated tubing) (FERNCO might be called something else where you are). Not a fan of the corrugated plastic/vinyl stuff.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I didn’t want to solvent weld the pipe to the bog as I can’t remove it then. But I just had a thought… I might weld a short piece to the bog that goes into the pond and connect that to the corrugated one with pvc pipe and clips. Then it doesn’t matter if it leaks in the pond. And I can easily remove it.

Just need to find some flexible pvc to fit over 21.5mm pipe. But Online they all look corrugated like I have in the pictures.

Have no idea what to fit inside the tank connector though. I guess I need pvc pipe connected that goes inside the pipe (the ones I bought go over the outside).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I would avoid the corrugated pipe altogether, but if you’re stuck with it for now, you should either cut your pvc and weld a new connector on so that your joint is within the bog, or you will need a transition fitting from slip to barbed. You might not be able to find that in a single fitting but you can do it in 2. First is slip x male (or female) adapter and second is female (or male) x barbed.

Reaction score
Country
United States
That black flexible hose tubing is exactly what I'm using as well. What would be "better"?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve read flexible pvc pipe is very good, much better than this corrugated rubbish, BUT when I google flex pvc most results come up for corrugated pipe I have, so I can’t find the flex pvc in question. I’ll have to pop into a pond shop one day I suppose unless someone shares a link.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I’ve read flexible pvc pipe is very good, much better than this corrugated rubbish, BUT when I google flex pvc most results come up for corrugated pipe I have, so I can’t find the flex pvc in question. I’ll have to pop into a pond shop one day I suppose unless someone shares a link.

Where are you located? You can order any size/length you want from Home Depot/Lowes/Menards. It is definitely hard to find in stock anywhere though. Not a common product.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I got mine from Webb's Online. I also got some 1" diameter flex PVC (for a circulation jet) from Amazon.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
When searching for flex PVC make sure you search for schedule 40 flexible pvc to ensure you're buying the correct product.

I bought mine on Amazon. I got the black version which to me is less noticeable than the white.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
That black flexible hose tubing is exactly what I'm using as well. What would be "better"?
That corregated pond hose is garbage. It will develop pin holes and even split open in a short period of time.

Schedule 40 flex PVC is what you want. It will be the last hose you buy.

It is compatible with all standard ridgid PVC fittings and can be glued to them using the same primer and glue.

It's advisable to have a union for quick easy disconnection when winterizing or for maintenance purposes.

Last edited:

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
If you can't find flex PVC locally, try looking for "Spa pipe" or "Spa hose". I'm in Israel, and had the same problem finding flex PVC pipe. I finally located it via stores that sold to the spa and hot tube trade. I wasn't able to find it in the black or dark grey color used by pond professionals, but I was able to find it in white.

You could also check with this fellow: http://thepondadvisor.co.uk/ to see where in your area you could buy the same stuff he uses in his builds.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I'm a big advocate for schedule 40 flex PVC, but others here have had good luck with sump pump hose sold at hardware and big box stores. It's corregated, but much stronger than that corregated "pond hose".

So, if you can't locate flex PVC, there's a second choice. Try looking for a sump pump hose kit. It's not compatible with standard PVC fittings, but with a couple of hose barb fittings, you should be able to connect it to your system.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I can agree with @poconojoe. I ha e been using the sump pump hose for 6 years now. It doesn't get brittle, crack or developed leaks! Its the only hose I use now for all my pumps. And cheap!

Ask a Question