Help with pipe size, gravity and pumps

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If you plumb your pumps separately, then dual 2" pipes to the bog are more than sufficient. If you're combining them ahead of the bog, then definitely 3".

Like @GBBUDD said, you can use valves to experiment and dial in exactly how much flow goes to the bottom of the bog. Divert/ dump the rest out on top or send it somewhere else like circulation jets, another waterfall, another filter, etc.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
So keep rate up to what pond requires and divert the excess for jets or water fall.

I'm trying to find the equivalent of schedule 40 pvc in the UK, our waste pvc is has thinner walls. A lot of pipe will be buried, so I rather be safe than sorry, I seems irrigation companies sell better quality pipe at reasonable prices.

Irrigation pipe might work, but imagine it will be hard to source in the size you need. Around here, a 2" pressure rated pipe would only be used on extremely large residences or commercial/industrial applications.

What's the wall thickness of your waste pipe? Over here, pressure pvc and waste pvc are the same wall thickness but their manufacturing process gives them different pressure ratings. Waste pipe is the standard over here as it's cold water only and pressure is very low in a pond system. You might be fine using waste pipe, but we'd need to know more about it.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There are $15 dollar vacuum breakers you can find at any good hardware store . And then there are $300 or more the 15 Is all you need.
I mentioned before make sure your settlement filter is at the same plain as is the pond . To get the balance right of pump to gravity is not easy and always risky. When all three are equal heights then the pump does the job making everything work and when power goes out everything levels out
The pond and settlement tank will have the same depth and top levels, the filter will be about 6" higher, so It should be okay

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
2 two inch lines can not carry what one 3 inch can . From a pump that pushes 4000 gph then yes a three inch is over kill but even so once it meat the bog and goes underground there I would go hands down 3 inch as I already made that error last time around . Even though I never plan to use the full 3 inch with a flow of 12000 gph ovr the bogs waterfall .when company comes over I may through 8 or 10000 gph at it for effect.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That's where I have to disagree. . Waste pipe is or can be so cheap one wrong move and it's a goner.
scedule 40 is considerd waste pipe but is the go to for millionsof swimming pools. However there is also drain lines for camper rv's and that drain line I would not touch with a ten foot pole. If I'm placing tens of thousands of pounds or earth or boulders over a pipe it's going to give me a bit of insurance that it can do much more then I need it too. Not a place I want to revisit when everything is built.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Inside the settlement tank I have seen by the dedicated koi guys that they will install a few socks that have like a 300 micron usualy three or more.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That's where I have to disagree. . Waste pipe is or can be so cheap one wrong move and it's a goner.
scedule 40 is considerd waste pipe but is the go to for millionsof swimming pools. However there is also drain lines for camper rv's and that drain line I would not touch with a ten foot pole. If I'm placing tens of thousands of pounds or earth or boulders over a pipe it's going to give me a bit of insurance that it can do much more then I need it too. Not a place I want to revisit when everything is built.

I was talking specifically about sch 40 pvc rated dwv. Pretty hard to find anything pressure rated over 1.25” unless you’re buying from a commercial supplier.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Inside the settlement tank I have seen by the dedicated koi guys that they will install a few socks that have like a 300 micron usualy three or more.
Socks ? I'm trying find what they are.

Do you mean a net to capture large debris?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I was thinking at using something like this 10bar irrigation pipe I think it's the same as used for ponds but it costs somewhat less

Interesting product. Thinner wall than schedule 40, but higher pressure rating than DWV (no pressure rating at all, but realistically can handle cold water low pressure just fine). Will probably work fine.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Interesting product. Thinner wall than schedule 40, but higher pressure rating than DWV (no pressure rating at all, but realistically can handle cold water low pressure just fine). Will probably work fine.
I think our 50mm pvc waste pipe wall thickness is 1.8 to 2mm, so even thinner. I think something like that irrigation pipe laid in pea gravel should do the trick.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Socks ? I'm trying find what they are.

Do you mean a net to capture large debris?
It's what it says a sock that you slip over a perforated tube that filters out what ever lmicron you choose 300 micros would alow koi fish waste to pass but not gold fish. As koi have no structure to their waste unlike seeing sausage rolls With goldfish.

A nylon stocking I have seen used in some dyi applications but the socks look far more durable. They are like 3 or feet feet tall and 4 to 6 inches wide . They are usualy standing up . Dyi on YouTube dyi filters . It should pop up expecialy over there.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for everyone's comments and advice, they have been really useful and I'm think I'm just about there now.

Just looking at the refinements like locations of lights and all.

As I keep telling my wife, I can't build a prototype, once it done it's done , unless she is happy to knock up the patio and flower beds, So I have to try to get it right first time :)

Ask a Question