Help with plants etc for pond

Reaction score
I am building a small pond, or more of a stream type water way in my backyard. I am looking for input on plants etc I can use. I live in Phoenix AZ area so it gets very hot, there won't be any shade. I'm looking for low maintenance plants and kinds that don't reproduce or grow out of control too much. Was thinking some iris. My wife was wondering if we can run a real shallow stream of water thru clover, an idea she had. Some color and attractive plants would be nice. I have little to no experience with plant names etc. Thanks for any help.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
There are very few plants, I've found, that won't take over if you give them an opportunity. Irises are NOTORIOUS over growers. They would be lovely in your stream, but do plan to keep them under control.

Check your local nurseries for what grows well in your area - they will stock a lot of the more common plants. You can ask for things that do well in marshy or wet areas, as most of what you will be planting will be marginal type plants.

I think the only plant I've put in my pond that HASN'T overgrown it's boundaries is marsh marigold. Stays nice and compact year after year. But that may be because it dies back as soon as it gets hot here.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Be careful if you get any type of aquatic clover! Just do some research. I am a sucker for clover. Had some variety that turned out to be nasty-invasive! I’m sure it kept the water cooler and helped with filtration, but once it took hold....:nailbiting:! A2a

Ask a Question