Help With Suppliers

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I have a pond its almost one year old now, I posted a thread saying what i should do with it winter and i did what you guys told me, well... somehow the liner got punctured all the rocks piled up in the middle it became muddy all around it, THANKS.
Im coming for your help again because im giving you guys a second chance hopefully people who know will reply...

So i cant find any good/cheap place to get my supplies here in Canada,
list of things i need
1.pond liner
2.that pond blanket thing you put under the liner (forgot what it was called)
3.under water led lights for CHEAP or low wattage under water lights CHEAP.
4.pond boss Complete Nozzle Kit ( I tried looking everywhere for it and idk where to find it)
5. leaf net
6. new filter
so what are great canada pond suppliers? (the nozzles can be from america i dont care i just need them lol)

and last thing where do i find rocks for my pond?? its hard! the rocks that we use punctures a little bit of the liner on the sides
so where can i get round rocks is it legal to take rocks from a beach? LOL because I dont know where

ALSO how can i take care of it in winter cause the advice a few months ago didint work ( I removed the pump and everything drained the water and left it.) thats what someone said to do

SO PLEASE HELPP

im loosing lots of money for something that should last 20 years instead of 6 months THANKS! :)

Is there anyway i can get rid of racoons bathing in my pond?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Canada
one more thing, I am making my pond bigger and deeper 3 feet deep instead of 2 and 1m wide instead of half a meter wide on the narrow side and the larger side it is gunna be a meter and almost a half
I have no plants but i hope ill add lights better rocks and a nice fountain nozzle

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
What in the heck are you talking about? What advice did you get here that caused your liner to get punctured and your rocks to "pile up in the middle" and get muddy? Whatever advice it was I think you misinterpreted it.

Your approach is kind of odd for someone who's asking for help. And maybe your focus on CHEAP is what really caused your problem. Never cheap out on most basic pond element - your liner.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Lisak1 I was thinking the same thing. Anyway, here is the link to the OP’s wintering post. I didn’t read through it, though, so can’t comment on what could have happened to the liner. https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/what-to-do-with-my-pond-in-winter.22218/

@TBSam Have you tried looking online for supplies? Many of us order what we need. That gives you the option to “shop around” for good deals.

And can you maybe give us a little more information to explain what you actually did for your pond during the winter and how the liner got punctured? I don’t mean for you to say that “I did what you guys said,” but more what you actually did and how you did it. What material is your liner? Did you use EPDM, or something thin? I’ve never had a rock in or around my pond that was capable of puncturing the liner all on its own.

Do you have any pictures you could post? That would help us a lot in trying to help you.

I’m sorry that you are having problems. But a few things we have all learned:
  • Every pond/every situation will be different — it’s never a one-size-fits-all scenario. Sometimes advice has to be modified to suit a particular situation
  • When dealing with ponds, “cheap” should NEVER be an option! You quite literally get what you pay for.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
As member Mmathis said, you must not cheap out on the liner. DON'T USE PVC! Use EPDM with the felt liner. I bought mine online. There are many suppliers online. Years ago, before I knew better, I bought a $90 PVC liner from Lowe's ( it's like Home Depot). That PVC liner got punctured by a few branches that went right through my winter netting. I put on my waders to walk in there and tried to feel around in that icy water for the hole with no luck. I was adding 300 gallons a week to keep my fish in water until spring. 1500 gallon pond. Lesson learned...If I hadn't bought that PVC liner, that $90 would have gone into a real liner and not into the garbage. It would have saved me from the hassle of dealing with that mess too. Oh, when I removed that PVC liner, it was stiff and brittle and only a year old. After years my EPDM liner is still soft and pliable.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Wow, what a way to ask for help. I really do not know what is wrong with people. As far as raccoons, it you design it correctly, they will not be an issue. If you design it poorly then they can damage it. I have ducks, dogs, deer, turkeys, woodchucks, fox that have all been to my pond without damage. Mitch on here even has moose visit his pond and I am sure more, no issues. As others have said, do not go cheap, saving now will only cost you more as you are finding out.

I also walk in mine all the time with not punctures.

I may re think all your capital THANKS also.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
@TBSam in the two topics in which you asked for pond wintering advice, there were various recommendations - in general, members advised you to remove any equipment that could be damaged by freezing water and some members also advised you to drain your pond. None of that advice would result in rocks appearing in the middle of your pond and compromising the liner. If you did something other than the advice given here, then that is up to you, but please don't blame my members. If you feel that you received the wrong advice then explain what you did and what went wrong.

I should be grateful if you would read through the forum etiquette rules (link in my signature below). If you're going to be rude then don't expect to receive help.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a pond its almost one year old now, I posted a thread saying what i should do with it winter and i did what you guys told me, well... somehow the liner got punctured all the rocks piled up in the middle it became muddy all around it, THANKS.
Im coming for your help again because im giving you guys a second chance hopefully people who know will reply...

So i cant find any good/cheap place to get my supplies here in Canada,
list of things i need..... ALL WE CAN DO IS RECOMEND WHAT HAS WORKED FOR US IT'S YOUR FINAL DESITION TO ACT ON ADVICE FROM THE WEB. TO BE HONEST I'D NOT TAKE ADVICE FROM SOMONE IN GEORGIA FOR MY WINTER NEEDS. SEEING AS I AM IN NEW ENGLAND. YOUR IN CANADA SO YOU MAY NOT WANT TO LISTEN TO SAY ME IN NEW ENGLAND WHO HAS A FROST LINE OF 24" WHERE YOU PROBABLY HAVE A FROST LINE AT 48 INCHES.
1.pond liner ....SEEING AS EPDM IS THE ONLY ONE OF THE THREE CHOICES THAT IS UNEFFECTED BY THE COLD OR THE LEAST EFFECTED I'D HAVE TO LEAN TOWARD EPDM I'D IMAGINE YOU SEE TEMPS IN THE NEGATIVE NUMBER FREQUENTLY AND FOR EXTENDED PERIODS OF TIME.
2.that pond blanket thing you put under the liner (forgot what it was called) UNDERLAYMENT..... WITH OUT SOME IDEA OF YOUR SOIL TYPES WITHOUT AN IDEA ON WHAT TYPE OF SOIL YOU HAVE HOW BAD AND WHAT TPES OF ROCK DO YOU HAVE WHATS THE MOISTURE CONTENT OR WATER TABLE LEVEL
3.under water led lights for CHEAP or low wattage under water lights CHEAP. NO COMMENT ON THIS ONE AS I'D NOT RECOMEND CHEAP ANYTHING AND SEE IT COME BACK IN 6 MONTHS MY CHEAP LIGHTS FAILED.
4.pond boss Complete Nozzle Kit ( I tried looking everywhere for it and idk where to find it) GOOGLE CHROME
5. leaf net DOESN'T APPEAR YOU LOOKED TO HARD
6. new filter SAND FILTER? BIO FILTER? UV FILTER ? FOAM FILTER?
so what are great canada pond suppliers? (the nozzles can be from america i dont care i just need them lol)

and last thing where do i find rocks for my pond?? its hard! the rocks that we use punctures a little bit of the liner on the sides. Tbsam IF YOU USED SHARPE ROCK IN THE POND ON THE LINER AND YOU DIDN'T PLACE UNDERLAYMENT OR SOMETHING UNDER THE ROCK AND YOU DRAINED ALL THE WATER THERES A POSSIBILITY YOUR LINER GOT BLOWN AROUND OVER THE WINTER MONTHS AND IT CUT THROUGH YOUR LINER AND EXPOSED THE ROCKS BELOW. AS YOU STATED
so where can i get round rocks is it legal to take rocks from a beach? LOL because I dont know where
ALSO how can i take care of it in winter cause the advice a few months ago didint work ( I removed the pump and everything drained the water and left it.) thats what someone said to do

SO PLEASE HELPP

im loosing lots of money for something that should last 20 years instead of 6 months THANKS! :)

Is there anyway i can get rid of racoons bathing in my pond?

MY SUGESTION TO YOU SIR IN LOOKING AT YOUR QUESTIONS IS TO FIND A POND INSTALLER IN YOUR AREA AND HAVE THEM DO EVERYTHING FROM A INSTALL OF A NEW LINER TO SCEDULED MAINTENANCE. I'M GUESSING YOUR NOT USE TO WORKING WITH TOOLS OR EQUIPMENT. IT'S A WISE MAN WHO KNOWS WHEN TO SEEK HELP.
NO THIS IS NOT YELLING WITH CAPS BUT DIFFERENTIATE TEXT HAPPY HUNTING AND GOOD LUCK

Ask a Question