Help with what I think is Anchor worm

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi. I found a splinter looking white stick sticking out of 3 of my large goldfish in my pond. I manage to catch one and pull out the anchor worm . It was very difficult as it was very tough and was burried on the fish. I cleaned with betadine and the wound got better. The other 2 fish still has a worm attached and my other fish dont have yet. The only thing available for purchase here in Canada is Microbe lift lice and anchor worm treatment which I am treating with. I am on day 5 of my 1st week of 3 week treatment. Has anyone had success with this product? When should I see the worms die and fall off? Is 3 weeks enough to solve this anchor worm treatment?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200529-121638_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200529-121638_Gallery.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 232
Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I fought anchor worms before, due to ignorance I lost most of the fish, but I used Melafix, salt baths, and saved the ones I could. Set up a treatment tank. Could be anything from an aquarium big enough for you fish, plastic pool, to a new clean water tight teach can. Measure the water going in, so you can dose with medicine accordingly. Keep an air stone and filter going in there.
Next, you need to treat them. All of you fish will need treated, just in case you have unseen parasites on the others.
Then you need to find the source. I foolishly allowed my stepson to acquire wild caught cat fish and added them to my pond, which he would then go fishing for. After discovering the parasites, I had to totally drain my pond, lost most of my fish, a lot of my plants, and he never did eat the ones he caught! I let my pond sit empty for two months, to fully eradicate any chance of parasites.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Emptying the entire pond seems so drastic. I have a light infestarion that I am hoping to use meds to eradicate them with. I just cant get a hold of dimilin with takes care of the issue in 1 week. Im hoping US/ Canada border opens soon as I can get it sent to my us postal box and pick it up.For now I am hoping Microbe lift anchor worm works

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I treated anchor worm by physically removing the worms and treating the wounds with hydrogen peroxide. I don't think I used any products. But these were fish that I'd purchased from the store knowing they had anchor worm. I didn't have to decontaminate my own home environment--just the fish themselves.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I've always heard that the adults attached to the fish have to be removed by hand, even when treating the pond, so you might have to catch all the ones that are infected.

Microlift should kill them, but I don't know if it will have much affect on attached worms, or if will kill eggs.

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Do you know about Potassium permanganate? I’ve never used it but if you do some searching on this site and others it seems to be an effective treatment for the pond for gill flukes, especially when the fish cannot be quarantined in isolation tanks for treatment. It is hard on the biological system so you would need to have a very good approximation of how much water you actually have.

article from Sacramento Koi:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Do you know about Potassium permanganate? I’ve never used it but if you do some searching on this site and others it seems to be an effective treatment for the pond for gill flukes, especially when the fish cannot be quarantined in isolation tanks for treatment. It is hard on the biological system so you would need to have a very good approximation of how much water you actually have.

article from Sacramento Koi:
I recall looking for that, and being unable to find any local. Then I found much later on, that there is some locally, only sold as a tank clarifying/ deodorizing product. When I think of the beautiful fish I lost because the folks I asked at the pet store didn’t know their products....

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Potassium permanganate does not worm on anchor worms. It said so right on Dr Erik Johnson Koi health book. Pp works great for bacteria , fungus and some parasites but not on anchor worms or lice. I treated my pond for 4 weeks with Microbe lift anchor worm and lice treatment. Also pulled the adult worm on 2 of my fish. Now I noticed 2 worms on my 12 inch largest goldfish . I ordered Dimilin X which is what Dr Erik Johnson recommends , had it shipped to my Dad in the US and he is shipping it to me since I cannot get it shipped directly to Canada.

L

Lin

I always start medical treatments with graduated salt baths. 1 teaspoon no iodine salt for every gallon of water over 7 days usually does the trick and is the least harmful to the fish. Good Luck!

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I always start medical treatments with graduated salt baths. 1 teaspoon no iodine salt for every gallon of water over 7 days usually does the trick and is the least harmful to the fish. Good Luck!
I did that. Got pond at .3% but does nothing to eliminate anchor worms. It does help the would heal faster after the anchor worm was pulled.

Ask a Question