Help

Reaction score
I recently inherited a pond with the house we just bought. I think it's an older pond. The pump does not work and the water looks nasty-green and scummy. I want to get the pond up and running. My questions is do I need to drain the pond or can I use some chemicals to clear it up? If I do need to drain it, what is the best way?

Reaction score
I am assuming that it probably does not have any fish in it if it is an old pond that is full of algae with a broken pump. I think you could probably restore the pond without draining it by installing a new pump/ filter system and adding some various water chemicals like some pond bacteria and maybe some algaecide, but it seems to me that if you have the time and energy you may just want to drain it and inspect the whole pond to make sure there are no other issues and just start it over fresh with new equipment and clean water.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
if you buy a new pump put a tube or hose on it put it in the bottom of your pond and drain it out ,start fresh,,let us no how things are going

Reaction score
Those pumps from Harbor freight aren't suppose to run for long periods of time? They are meant for on/off pumping not continuous aren't they?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I have 2 waterfalls and the one with the sump pump only is turned on for a couple hours each time. It is for show, the other runs 24/7.

Ask a Question