Help !!!

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
firstly im new on here so hello to all :0)had a larger pond put in last summer i have 19 large to medium goldfish, i have a titum 8000 pump and a blagdon filter box ... my problem is the filter box is blocking about every 2 days .. i guess i need a bigger filter box, but i have no idea what one to get.. i should add the pond size is 11ft by 6ft and just over 2ft deep ... i do hope someone can help i dont have loads of money to spend on a fancey one... im really at me whits end nothing i do to the pond ever seems to help !!!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
2 words.. SKIPPY FILTER.... plumb a skippy in line before the falls box, they are easy to make and cheap... and will probably more than surpass your filters capabilities. and you can still leave your filter going too.

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
thankyou koiguy.... i looked up on skippy filters after reading your reply ... and as yet there doesnt seem to be anywhere to buy one here in the uk, not sure that even if i could get hold of one, i could manage to build it by myself ... but i shall keep looking

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
we all build our own... there is plans for 2 different ones here; a 55 gallon drum, and a 70 gallon stock tank, but you can build one out of a good quality outdoor trash can if you like,or rubbermaid storage tote bin. the design doesnt have to change. look them up in the diy and equipment forums

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
been looking for rubbermaids ... very expencive and hard to find in the uk ... i cant aford to have it too high as only a stream type of thing to hide it behind .. i found this on the web http://the-plant-directory.co.uk/victoria-pond-90-p-384.html?currency=GBP
looking at it that link probably wont work ...very new to pcs so sorry ... but if you can see it koiguy do you think it could work for a skippy ?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
try a good sturdy outdoor trash can... bury it down to a level that you'd like as a waterfall heighth ... the problem with that tub is the lack of depth but you COULD make it work. GOOD LUCK

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
like i said..i'd go for like a 30 or 33 gallon trash can...and put it behind your current filterfalls and plumb it in between your pump and current filter and put a flush valve on it so its easy cleaning... i dont know your setup so specifics are hard to say. post some pics of your setup....maybe try some different media,put it so the media goes from corse to fine so larger debris are caught in the corser and as the media gets finer so does the particles the media filters

Reaction score
I've never seen a blagdon filter box, but it sounds like whatever you do, you should install or build yourself a good mechanical pre-filter. Separate mechanical filtration and biological filtration, and you'll save yourself a lot of hassle.

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
does everyone use pre-filters and what sort ?...also can i run two things from same pump i have a titan 8000 and are useing a bioforce filter ... i want to put another home made biofilter at the other end of pond and wondered if i could use the one pump for both or do i need another pump

Ask a Question