Help!

ashirley

Annie in SC
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
We installed a bog in a stock tank. Last year the tank sprung a leak so we broke it down and installed a liner in the tank and put it back together. As we had plenty of liner my husband suggested that we double it for extra protection. Now water is seeping from around the outflow pipes and collecting between the layers of liner. Is the anyway to fix this??

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
How did you seal the tubing to and through the liner? Can you post some pictures?

Wait a minute, I’m confused here. It seems you posted the same thing a year ago. What kind of liner did you use? It sounds like it might have been PVC. Usually you construct a bulkhead through the liner. Not sure silicone is going to work.

If you need to do a bulkhead with a good seal, we can probably help you with that, but again, pictures would be helpful.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Silicon and good fitting gaskets. Do a good job with the silicon ( use pure silicon, no additives, fish safe stuff) and you’ll want to do them on the inside layer, and outside the stock tank. This is a quick on the phone drawing, where the grey is the tank/ and pipe, black is your doubled liner, blue is the silicon and gasket, and green is the bulkhead fittings.

Attachments

• D1334D7F-1BE6-4CFE-ABCD-D45899F71D71.png
    D1334D7F-1BE6-4CFE-ABCD-D45899F71D71.png
    96.2 KB · Views: 29
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Fixing the seal is a good first step. You could poke holes in the top layer to allow the water to escape, but that could be tough in an already set up tank. Double layered liner is never a good plan, as you have found out the hard way!

ashirley

Annie in SC
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Fixing the seal is a good first step. You could poke holes in the top layer to allow the water to escape, but that could be tough in an already set up tank. Double layered liner is never a good plan, as you have found out the hard way!
at the time it was easier than arguing with the husband lol.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Pictures would help.

Water is collecting between the liners. How is that really a problem? I'm not being sarcastic, just wondering why that bothers you and how can you tell that it's happening with all that gravel on top of it?
As long as it's not leaking out, why worry?

When that happens in someone's pond, we call that a water hippo, which is noticable in a pond because there's no gravel holding it down.

The best way to seal a connection is with a bulkhead fitting...period.
I never penetrate a liner, I always go over the top and hide it with a plant, rocks or whatever, but that's me...
If it's the return water, just create a low point, sort of a homemade weir instead of making a hole and trying to seal a pipe.
You can make a notch in the hard plastic stock tank, then cover it with the liner.

If you bought the liner from Lowe's, it's definitely pvc, which is horrible. Luckily it's only a stock tank and not a big pond, so don't worry too much. What's done is done. Next time use 45 mil EPDM or HDRPE.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Wait....what?
I just saw you posted onto your thread from last year then you started a new one with the same questions this year! That's a bit confusing.

Ok, I understand you might be in a panic, but we gave you the same answers last year.
We're a friendly bunch, but why ask the same things? Were you expecting different answers?

No big deal...we're still here to help. We don't hold grudges.

Let's get this thing fixed...

If it were me, I would either repair the crack or get a new stock tank. And use bulkhead fittings for any penetrations.

Maybe take everything out, clean and dry the cracked area in preparation of a repair. Rough up the area with sandpaper, clean again. Then clean it with alcohol. Get some PL-S30 roofing adhesive. It comes in tubes that fit a caulking gun. Spread the PL real good and slap a patch made of liner material on it. Put something heavy on it like bricks overnight.

It might be wise to determine why it cracked. If that area didn't have good support under it, that might be the cause. If there was a slight void or the ground was a little concave, that could be the cause. While it's all dismantled, check the ground underneath. Level it as necessary.

ashirley

Annie in SC
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Wait....what?
I just saw you posted onto your thread from last year then you started a new one with the same questions this year! That's a bit confusing.

Ok, I understand you might be in a panic, but we gave you the same answers last year.
We're a friendly bunch, but why ask the same things? Were you expecting different answers?

No big deal...we're still here to help. We don't hold grudges.

Let's get this thing fixed...

If it were me, I would either repair the crack or get a new stock tank. And use bulkhead fittings for any penetrations.

Maybe take everything out, clean and dry the cracked area in preparation of a repair. Rough up the area with sandpaper, clean again. Then clean it with alcohol. Get some PL-S30 roofing adhesive. It comes in tubes that fit a caulking gun. Spread the PL real good and slap a patch made of liner material on it. Put something heavy on it like bricks overnight.

It might be wise to determine why it cracked. If that area didn't have good support under it, that might be the cause. If there was a slight void or the ground was a little concave, that could be the cause. While it's all dismantled, check the ground underneath. Level it as necessary.
Honestly I forgot I posted last year. My apologies. Once I had a temporary solution to stop the leak life got away from me. As Spring always does it has me thinking of ways to improve the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Honestly I forgot I posted last year. My apologies. Once I had a temporary solution to stop the leak life got away from me. As Spring always does it has me thinking of ways to improve the pond.
No problem. Life can definitely get too busy at times...
So, what's your next move? Did you guys decide what to do?

ashirley

Annie in SC
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
No problem. Life can definitely get too busy at times...
So, what's your next move? Did you guys decide what to do?
We are going to try to install bulkheads around the outflow pipes next weekend. I would love to redo the whole thing with EDPM liner but now that it's spring here I should probably wait. Hopefully the bulkhead will fix it.

Ask a Question