Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Im planning too build a pond 2 foot below ground and around 3.5 above can anyone tell me if it's okay too use concrete blocks please or am I better of tieing in with bricks outside it's around 9 foot then 7 foot in middle but triangle shape in corner many thanks.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Here's a few tips -

1. Use a title that's more descriptive than "help" if you hope to get useful answers.
2. Your post is one long run on sentence - very hard to make heads nor tails out of it.
3. Welcome to the GPF!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Many ponds are made with concrete bocks, with reinforcement rods set vertically in them. Blocks are used from the ground to the top of the pond.

I don't know what you mean by tying into bricks. Bricks are not strong enough to hold that much water.

There are others much more informed than I am on this subject. Hopefully they will chime in soon.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Im planning too build a pond 2 foot below ground and around 3.5 above can anyone tell me if it's okay too use concrete blocks please or am I better of tieing in with bricks outside it's around 9 foot then 7 foot in middle but triangle shape in corner many thanks.
I have a formal pond below and above ground constructed with breeze blocks laid flat as opposed to on-end. The outside pond wall is rendered and painted. My pond is interconnected allowing a waterfall and I have recently refined both ponds because the previous lining ended at the top of the inside wall and was finished with a termination bar. If you choone a termination bar ensure that sealant is applied between the liner and substrate to avoid rain water running down the wall and ending up below the liner.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
hallo duck.gif
and welcome @pond renewal

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Concrete cinderblocks are a frame in making your shape. They are designed so that their strength is when you look down onto them looking through the hollow center. The sides have very little strength.
However. If you pour what is referred to as a bond beam / a footing . Build your basic shape with the cinder blocks. But as the first layer is placed. You'll want to drill a hole into the footing slightly larger than some rebar. ,#5 will do the job for a 3 foot tall wall. Those rebar at a minimum should be in every other bay of the block and brought up to just shy of the top of the height of your wall. This locks the lower and upper rows together.

Once that is complete you then want to fill all the block with concrete. .

The top of the wall / block can be too sharp and will need to be eased over. A cup grinder scarifier bit or even just a brick can do that job.

Last edited:

Ask a Question