helpful hint for new ponds/filtration systems

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
aquarium owners know the benefits of zeolite,it does one thing and does it well, it removes ammonia. put a mesh planting basket full of zeolite on your biofilter discharge(pond return) untill your filter establishes itself. dont put it before the filter or it will detere your bacterial growth, and will tend to clog faster. evey 2/3 weeks dip it in a salt water solution,overnight and it will recharge,and be as good as new. will last forever. i started my pond withit and had consistant zero ammonia and nitrate readings. just a helpful hint.

Reaction score
aquarium owners know the benefits of zeolite,it does one thing and does it well, it removes ammonia. put a mesh planting basket full of zeolite on your biofilter discharge(pond return) untill your filter establishes itself. dont put it before the filter or it will detere your bacterial growth, and will tend to clog faster. evey 2/3 weeks dip it in a salt water solution,overnight and it will recharge,and be as good as new. will last forever. i started my pond withit and had consistant zero ammonia and nitrate readings. just a helpful hint.

Yeah its really absorb ammonia and other nitrogenous compounds which is good for fishes but due to the high affinity of some zeolites for calcium, they may be less effective in hard water and may deplete calcium.

Ask a Question