Here is a goofy question

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I have comets. First time pond owner. It occurred to me that although I'm pretty sure goldfish aren't live bearing -- I don't know how the whole thing works.

I have a skimmer and a pretty strong flow of water. Do the fish just find little sheltered nooks in which to lay their eggs? Will I see the eggs? Do they have any sort of way to stick them securely in place? Or do they just hope for the best?

I've seen the two larger fish "dancing" around each other, so I suspect it's that time of the year! :)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They stick their eggs to plants roots whatever. Some might float into the skimmer. population control! You don't want all to survive!
I have never seen the egg mass, but I don't look for it either.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
They stick their eggs to plants roots whatever. Some might float into the skimmer. population control! You don't want all to survive!
That's how I look at it too. Same reason I don't have the pond netted. There are many, many excellent, deep hiding places that can't be reached from the edge, so I figure Mother Nature will help keep the numbers manageable. (Although I understand a patient heron is another story entirely.)
;)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Once the heron found my pond it would have come back until it was empty of fish. I quit feeding them or very seldom feed when they start chasing, which mine are doing now, they inhale eggs that are dropped.
There is plenty of food in the pond for them to eat.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
hey bags , they splash and scatter the eggs around roots or very shallow places ,but what triggers them is some thing like hanging roots or plants some strips they will find something similar , it will strangle it self on shallow place or roots then try to getout with a splash that gives it force to lay egg, eventually eggs will fall on shallow rocks roots plants and after some time there outer coating or mucus becomes sticky and they will stick there firmly , some will go in filter if female splashed around inlet , others may b eaten but some of them will always survive . there are some special spawn mops u can buy too . or make any homemade .

the male will intensely chase female like its going to kill her lol that means shes laying eggs and she will make sound of splashes from fins . if its just chasing casually that means its early stage , actually my fishes do this at midnight till early morning i can hear splashes in my room then when i see in morning males r killing her and all the fishes including koi are chasing them lol to eat eggs its funy whole shoal

they r like spores of ferns u can see these eggs if u have microscopic eyes but uil need to kneel near surface and if u can see where they layed eggs then u can see on leaves or roots small yellowish white eggs .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Ha! Wait until you get attached to some of them! :)
It's happening already. I named the big white one Piggy -- she was the first to be interested in food. (I think it's a female since her body is more rounded and the other one is chasing her.) The one I assume to be the male is a really neat, deep red-orange. He is 'Mater. (As in To-Mater.) He was funny today -- swimming up on the plant shelves and somehow got into the big, round, shallow planter that has a small lotus in it. He kept swimming around and around and around -- finally realized he was getting nowhere fast, so he decided to swim up and out. (Not sure how bright he is. LOL)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
That's how I look at it too. Same reason I don't have the pond netted. There are many, many excellent, deep hiding places that can't be reached from the edge, so I figure Mother Nature will help keep the numbers manageable. (Although I understand a patient heron is another story entirely.)
;)

As is an expensive koi!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Last year one of my koi spawned in my skimmer. Fortunately she was fine, think she might have been hiding :) You'll be able to see the eggs, they're kind of clear to light yellow, translucent and stick to EVERYTHING !

BTW, this year I'm going to make a "koi catcher" I saw on line, to prevent them from swimming into the skimmer. It's made of PVC.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Last year one of my koi spawned in my skimmer. Fortunately she was fine, think she might have been hiding :) You'll be able to see the eggs, they're kind of clear to light yellow, translucent and stick to EVERYTHING !

BTW, this year I'm going to make a "koi catcher" I saw on line, to prevent them from swimming into the skimmer. It's made of PVC.
You will have to put pictures up! That sounds cool!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
You will have to put pictures up! That sounds cool!
I was so panicked when I couldn't find her, that I was afraid to look into the skimmer! My husband did and when he confirmed that she was there and fine, I lifted her out and put her into the pond...no time for picture taking!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I was so panicked when I couldn't find her, that I was afraid to look into the skimmer! My husband did and when he confirmed that she was there and fine, I lifted her out and put her into the pond...no time for picture taking!
I mean pictures of your new skimmer "koi catcher!" ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States

I have comets. First time pond owner. It occurred to me that although I'm pretty sure goldfish aren't live bearing -- I don't know how the whole thing works.

I have a skimmer and a pretty strong flow of water. Do the fish just find little sheltered nooks in which to lay their eggs? Will I see the eggs? Do they have any sort of way to stick them securely in place? Or do they just hope for the best?

I've seen the two larger fish "dancing" around each other, so I suspect it's that time of the year! :)
Most of you guys have seen pictures of Donald and Hillary.... I forgot who, but somebody said that they were both males.... Well they were right..... One fish that Sarah had to have was a 16" pretty fish.... I named her Miss Piggy, because she is a eating machine.... So they did their spawning thing..... Scales laying on the bottom., both of them pushing Miss Piggy up against the side of the pond and on the rocks..... When they got through she looked like she had been in a war zone.... All this was happening while I was dealing with the massive Frog egg laying invasion.... Fish have calmed down.... Frog have quit for the time being.... Pond smells better.... Ammonia is on the lighter shade of. 25( haven't done a water change in 10 days) nitrates and nitrites are acceptable.... Adding plants every weekend .... Bagsmom, this is my first spring with a pond, been an adventure.... Lol Jimmy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Most of you guys have seen pictures of Donald and Hillary.... I forgot who, but somebody said that they were both males.... Well they were right..... One fish that Sarah had to have was a 16" pretty fish.... I named her Miss Piggy, because she is a eating machine.... So they did their spawning thing..... Scales laying on the bottom., both of them pushing Miss Piggy up against the side of the pond and on the rocks..... When they got through she looked like she had been in a war zone.... All this was happening while I was dealing with the massive Frog egg laying invasion.... Fish have calmed down.... Frog have quit for the time being.... Pond smells better.... Ammonia is on the lighter shade of. 25( haven't done a water change in 10 days) nitrates and nitrites are acceptable.... Adding plants every weekend .... Bagsmom, this is my first spring with a pond, been an adventure.... Lol Jimmy
You need David Attenborough to come narrate all the drama in your pond! :)

Ask a Question