Here is my filter system design. Please share thoughts...

Reaction score
A while back I posted a question about a settlement chamber vs. a pump with a strainer basket. The responses on that thread gave me a lot to think about. From that, here is a design I have come up with and I am asking for thoughts/opinions, pros/cons, and any other helpful insights.

FilterSystemDesign1.jpg

Here a few points to note:
- The filter will be a canister unit with backwash capabilities
- The by-pass around the filter allows me to regulate the flow through the filter and to continue system operation if the filter is ever out of service.
- Ball valves at the return to the pond allow me to regulate the flow of water through either the TPR or the waterfall (even allowing the waterfall to be 'turned off' when freezing temperatures threaten).

And, here are a few questions that are floating around in my head:
- Should the filter/UV be one unit (canister filter with UV built in) or separate?
- If the filter and UV are to be separate, can I use the UV as the filter by-pass (e.g. would it allow enough water to flow through it?)

Thanks,
Randy

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
Nice plans.. they look great to me. I would definitely not buy a filter/UV combo, I have only heard bad things.

Also…. maybe somebody else can chime in on this, because I have never used a UV, but it’s possible you may want to have that as towards the front of your system, or maybe after the settlement chamber. If I recall from other people, they say “oh I used a UV but there is still algae suspended in my water”, well it kills it, but then needs to be filtered out still.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Nice set-up plans. I don't understand the drain line fron the side of the vortex. I would think a ball/gate valve at the bootom and the line going to the dump line would be enough. UV would best be placed just before the vortex as this will remove the killed algae cells the fastest. But with a bottom drain in the pond most dead matter in the pond should be removed pretty effeciently as well. For UV 1 watt per 100-150 gallons is usually plenty of UV lighting for most ponds to help maintain and to clear water if it does start turning green Again, you really want to slow the flow rate through the UV if possible. The slower the water flow the better the light works, but you do need enough flow to allow at least 1 turn over every four hours through the light itself.

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
you know.. I kind of wondered the same thing... I have seen where people put a "failsafe" toward the top of their barrel or stock tank filters... but it should spill back into the pond. That way if something were to happen where your outlet from the settlement chamber got clogged, your pond wouldn't completely drain. I would switch up that pipe to overflow back into the pond.

Reaction score
Settlement chambers are a pretty old concept in filters. Even back then they didn't do much. A sieve filter is way better.

If you really wanted a settlement chamber... The drawing has 2 settlement chambers, one is 150 gal and one is 1500 gal and is called the pond. In order to get stuff to settle in the 150 gal chamber it first has to settle in the 1500 gal chamber in order to pass through the pipe to the smaller chamber. So I wouldn't see the reason for the second 150 gal chamber.

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
Isn't that kind of the point of a bottom drain? The stuff that does make it to the bottom of the pond sucked up and settles into another chamber where you can scoop is out easily instead of 4-5 feet down in the bottom of the pond? I mean, he does have the optional pipe from the bottom drain straight to the field he could open once a week to clear it out, but it looks like it will run all the time, so let it settle in a separate chamber instead of the bottom of the pond, and drain it from there,

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
another idea.... instead of just a settlement chamber, why don't you make that a boi filter? bring the input in from the bottom, have it rise up through layers of different media, and then out to the pump. still would have a settlement area in the bottom, but also do a lot more filtering.

Reaction score
Isn't that kind of the point of a bottom drain? The stuff that does make it to the bottom of the pond sucked up and settles into another chamber where you can scoop is out easily instead of 4-5 feet down in the bottom of the pond? I mean, he does have the optional pipe from the bottom drain straight to the field he could open once a week to clear it out, but it looks like it will run all the time, so let it settle in a separate chamber instead of the bottom of the pond, and drain it from there,
I've never heard of a settlement tank that would be scooped out. To me the whole point of a settlement chamber is to localize crap so it can be flushed with a minimal amount of water loss.

So, to me, why not let the crap settle in the pond, open a valve to flush? I don't see the benefit of having a second, smaller chamber, with 10 times as much water movement being as effective. Even full of bushes that 150 gal chamber could settle 100% of particles it still not remove any more than the 1500 gal chamber because every particle has to settle there first.

But moot to me...sieve is way better than both.

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
Well, yeah, I'm not saying it has to be scooped out by hand, just that it seems to me its the same concept as a skimmer, only it's pulling from the bottom. I would want that junk sucked to another area where it is more easily accessible.

I'm not familiar with sieve filters... in fact. I'm not familiar with a lot of pond equipment, I run one mechanical filter and one bio filter, and have some awesome software that can figure flow rates and circulation. I'm sure you have done your homework on sieve filters, can you point me toward some info on them? (i don't even know what they do, I'm interested) I think I'm good to go with my pond, but I still like to learn. I contemplated bottom drain and other options when i rebuilt my pond, but I ended up with just a skimmer and the "current maker/ flow bar" whatever the heck you wanna call it and a skimmer. along with a mech filter and a biofilter.

Reaction score
Well, yeah, I'm not saying it has to be scooped out by hand, just that it seems to me its the same concept as a skimmer, only it's pulling from the bottom. I would want that junk sucked to another area where it is more easily accessible.
Sorry, I'm not following you at all. A skimmer uses a basket to mechanically filter out big bits of crap, a settlement chamber uses calm water or current to make crap fall out of the water column. There's no reason for crap to be accessible in a settlement chamber. You want crap to accumulate near a drain so it can be flushed.

I'm not familiar with sieve filters... can you point me toward some info on them?
I start with Google. There's also a few threads here on sieve filters.

Reaction score
Here you go 99

Sieve filters use wedge mesh, which allows the particles to be seperated from the water as it falls throught he mesh without the particles clogging the mesh, newer verions of filter can move up and down automatically with the water level of the pond.

The idea of a seperate settling chamber keeps the pond floor clean, probably more for visual appearance, they are also a lot cheaper than sieves, to make and to buy.

Reaction score
With the overflow being at the top of the vortex, this allows for a trickle water change system to be employed. If the vortex is being gravity fed then the water level in the vortex will be the same as the pond therefore it would not be able to overflow back to the pond, better to piped away to drainage.

Reaction score
I don't understand the drain line fron the side of the vortex. I would think a ball/gate valve at the bootom and the line going to the dump line would be enough.

The drain in question is my overflow drain. I am converting a raised flowerbed into a pond and, due to the way the form of the bed is constructed, if too much water were to get in the pond I do not want it to overflow down the rock siding on the pond wall. My plan is to use this overflow drain to act much like that of a bathroom sink and any extra water would empty that way. I do not plan on installing an auto-fill system and will be topping off the water myself manually so the concern is not as much with that as it is with the occasional downpours we can get sometimes when it rains.

Reaction score

The primary reason I tied the BD line to the field line was to make it easier if I ever have to drain the pond. So, yea, regular running of the system would have water flowing into the SC. But, with your comment here, I now realize that I could use it as an occasional drain if I ever have to take the filter system off-line for an extended period of time.

Reaction score
another idea.... instead of just a settlement chamber, why don't you make that a boi filter? bring the input in from the bottom, have it rise up through layers of different media, and then out to the pump. still would have a settlement area in the bottom, but also do a lot more filtering.

I did think of that but I am leaning more towards using an external pressure filter. One thing I didn't mention, in the interest of keeping discussion of the design more focused, is that I plan on using my SC as a smaller, secondary, plan pond. I plan on it being closer to my patio and placing the SC in an outside corner of the patio walls. Due to this close proximity, I want to place a bunch of floating plants in it along with plenty of other plants around it and make it an attraction and not "oh, ok...there is his filter system...right in the middle between the patio and the pond". From what I have read, the root system of floating plants will also contribute to the filtering of the water. (yea, and I will keep an eye on it to keep the roots under control so that they don't impede the overall operation and water flow through the system.) Soon I will post some pictures of the area showing the placement of the items and such but, until then, you can see pics of the site at http://thehawkinsfamilypond.blogspot.com/ and maybe guess where I am talking about.

Ask a Question