Here we go...

pondlover

Life is good today!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
My husband finally gave in and I'm getting my pond!!! We just started today so here are the pictures as we go.
If anyone has suggestions as we go, would sure love to hear them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Anxious to see some pictures, and building during the winter? You will get LOTS of comments from this site! Lost of us are in northern climates, and pretty soon (if not already) our ponds will be frozen, or at least the fish are hibernating, and not feeding, so anyone with new construction will be fun and refreshing to watch!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
hey they need energy food too, pizza ,don't want a bunch of drunks laying in the pond

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
As long as they are digging sissy, think she won't care if they are a little tipsy.

dig.gif

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Waiting for the pictures.............oh think you may have to have a certain # of posts before you can post pix. Maybe 10? So start posting some other stuff so you can reach your limit. Looking forward to seeing your build.

pondlover

Life is good today!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I am new to this site and forgot to attach my pics. :sad: We have started building process now because we love to fish in the spring and summer. And it gets pretty hot here in the summer. Husband's idea. LOL
Ok.... here we go.

Attachments

• photo (5).JPG
    photo (5).JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 224

pondlover

Life is good today!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Hopefully I have added some pictures this time. Our dog also wanted in on the digging. :razz: photo (4).JPGphoto (3).JPGphoto (1).JPG

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 333

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Great spot, call everyone that owes you favors, paybacks, or just wants to join in. Have a pond digging party! If the budget allows the bigger the better. Make sure to keep in mind your viewing from the deck. Being slightly higher than the pond it's a great spot for quest to enjoy the pond with out getting to close. Also plan on digging a fairly deep hole. 2' for your area is the bare minimum and 36" would be far safer. That's for a water garden with plants and goldfish. If considering Koi consider deeper and bigger than you may need. these guys get really big and you will need the room as they grow. and boy do they grow! Your in a semi mild zone so you will have a long viewing season and minimal freezing issues. But you still do need to plan on it as you see now, it's still early in the season and most hobbyist right now are in full winter mode. Good luck and look forward to seeing more pics as the project progresses.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
wow she has a doggie digger they are expensive machines and a lot of up keep and even a lot of licking :LOL: A fancy boxer digger wow going up in the world there .I wonder how you maintain one of those .

pondlover

Life is good today!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Wow...Larkin thank you so much for the info. Believe it or not, my husband and I did most of the digging. So far we have its going to be about 12 x 16, we are planning on digging 24" all around and in the middle to a depth of 36". As you can see our yard is slightly sloped and we are thinking of building the low side up some. What are your thoughts on that? Still not sure how we are going to do the waterfall but feel pretty confidant that we will get lots of help from this forum. I am loving all the feedback.

pondlover

Life is good today!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I do have a question for everyone.... has anyone used EDPM Roofing liner vs the Pond liner?

Reaction score
I've used the EDPM roofing material many times and would always choose it over EPDM pond liner if cheaper. There's been much discussion over the years on the differences between roofing and pond liner. I once got hold of the test data from Firestone they used to declare the pond liner fish safe. They put 6 Goldfish into a pond and after 2 weeks the fish were still alive so the liner was declared "fish safe". By that test roofing liner can also be declared "pond safe".

The EPA would never allow material toxic to fish to be used on buildings since runoff goes into wet lands, streams, lakes and drinking water supplies. And for that matter no company would ever knowing open itself for that kind of liability.

we love to fish in the spring and summer
You're going to use the pond to fish from? Like with a fishing pole? What kind of fish?

pondlover

Life is good today!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Thanks Waterbug. I think we are a going with Roof liner, the cost savings is huge. :LOL: No, we won't be fishing from my new pond. We do alot of camping and love to fish for Crappie and Catfish on the TN River.

Ask a Question