Here's another newbie needing help!

Reaction score
Hi everyone. So excited to have found this forum. Looks like you guys are just a wealth of information! So, with that being said..lol..here is my story.
We were going to put in a small patio pond, nothing spectacular, then a friend of ours had a grand idea to bring over his tractor and help us dig the hole. Well, long story short, our "patio" pond is now apx 20x25 ft. We let it run on its own for a few years, but the last 2 or so we seem to be gone all the time so need to put in a pump and filtering system. Can you guys please give me some direction. The pond tapers from about 2 ft deep to 3ft in the center. So, I am guessing we are somewhere around 6500 gallons? Does that sound about right?
This week we have started cleaning it out because our water lilys now have roots 4" in diameter, the cat tail container turned over and they have run amuck, plus when we first put in the pond we were told to buy this little floating plant thing that would help to establish the pond. Well, I'd like to find the person that gave us that bit of advise! lol They did not tell us how rapidly is grew and multiplied and there was no stopping it. So we are going back to square one and have pulled everything out. Our pump went kerplunk last fall so this time we want to get a new pump and filter system. Can you guys tells me what size pump and filter. Its my understanding that the gph ratio does not have to be 1:1 because of our pond size. Is that true and if so, what ratio does it need to be? Also, I've read about skimmers and clarifiers. What are your suggestions there.
Thanks so much in advance. Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated.
Oh yea, and one last thing. Every time we buy fish we always ask how big will they get. We are ALWAYS given the same answer...."they will grow to the size of your pond". Every time they say that my husband and I get this vision of multiple 17' koi going...left, left, left, everybody turn left!" lol So what does "growing to the size of my pond" really mean? lol thanks

Reaction score
biggest koi i ever saw was 20' just kiddin they do get quit lrg though i hear they can weigh over 60lbs kinda like a whale in your pond right!!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I stuck with goldfish and shubunkins, easy to care for, very pretty and they don't poop as much as koi do, or grow as big.

Aaron S

K5ATG
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
A skimmer helps on collecting leaves and other debris that float on the surface of the pond. They are generally set on the side of the pond and have a weir that allows water to flow through. The water then passes trough a basket that traps the debris and a pump is installed behind or below the basket. The pump will pump the water out of the skimmer box and then the water from the pond flows into the skimmer box via the weir. A skimmer is also a great way to hide the pump and plumbing. However keep in mind that if the water level of the pond drops down just a few inches, the skimmer will run dry and your pump can burn up. It is a good idea to install a automatic refill device in the skimmer that will prevent the water level in the pond from dropping.
I have a 1,500 gallon pond located under 3 gigantic pecan trees. Not the best place in the world but I don't have any other options on placement. I was always in a never ending war with leaves in my pond. I can't complain because of the placement of the pond but sometimes I would spend 2 or more hours a week just cleaning leaves out of the pond. Then three months ago I installed a Hagen Laguna Skimmer Filter. This will handle up to 4,200 gph and was about $150 on Amazon. Since installing it, I have had very little debris settle into my pond. I have just a 1,100 gph pump in it and it works great. Now I just have to empty the basket once a week and I'm good to go. I get to spend more time enjoying the pond instead of maintaining it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone. So excited to have found this forum. Looks like you guys are just a wealth of information! So, with that being said..lol..here is my story.
We were going to put in a small patio pond, nothing spectacular, then a friend of ours had a grand idea to bring over his tractor and help us dig the hole. Well, long story short, our "patio" pond is now apx 20x25 ft. We let it run on its own for a few years, but the last 2 or so we seem to be gone all the time so need to put in a pump and filtering system. Can you guys please give me some direction. The pond tapers from about 2 ft deep to 3ft in the center. So, I am guessing we are somewhere around 6500 gallons? Does that sound about right?
This week we have started cleaning it out because our water lilys now have roots 4" in diameter, the cat tail container turned over and they have run amuck, plus when we first put in the pond we were told to buy this little floating plant thing that would help to establish the pond. Well, I'd like to find the person that gave us that bit of advise! lol They did not tell us how rapidly is grew and multiplied and there was no stopping it. So we are going back to square one and have pulled everything out. Our pump went kerplunk last fall so this time we want to get a new pump and filter system. Can you guys tells me what size pump and filter. Its my understanding that the gph ratio does not have to be 1:1 because of our pond size. Is that true and if so, what ratio does it need to be? Also, I've read about skimmers and clarifiers. What are your suggestions there.
Thanks so much in advance. Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated.
Oh yea, and one last thing. Every time we buy fish we always ask how big will they get. We are ALWAYS given the same answer...."they will grow to the size of your pond". Every time they say that my husband and I get this vision of multiple 17' koi going...left, left, left, everybody turn left!" lol So what does "growing to the size of my pond" really mean? lol thanks

Welcome likestolearnalot for one they should have told you your pond is too shallow for koi especially if you suffer severe winters in your neck of the woods.
4ft is the minimum depth 5ft the ideal depth our own is 4ft deep you can get them deeper than 5ft , the deepest weve ever seen was 6ft but they are very few and far between.
Koi are an ideal choice but hey those who know us know Val and I are koi nuts of 27 years standing :cool: (y) yes we love our koi :)
The phrase they will grow to the size of your pond is somewhat confusing what they should be saying is they will reach their full potential of 3ft in a lage pond ,:) :COOL:
(Aaron you say you have pecan trees near your pond did you know that trees will actively seek out water with their roots and it has been known for them to tap into ponds through liners):(
Regular water changes will help with the koi , do you have any drop test kits for your water perameters i;e Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, Ph, Kh, Gh.:)
Cleaning the debris and detritus should be done on a regular basis by pond Vac if you dont have a bottom drain especially prior to the winter, your filters should also recieve regular maintenance as wellagain especially prior to winter (thats if you rn them throughout, some folk because of their winters turn theirs off ours runs 24/7 365 days of the year):cool:.
Koi are considered as plant wreckers in the UK we sort of have formal ponds with nothing but koi in them but the good people on this site will probably say that they are OK with them personally we prefare non .;)

Dave;)

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
the cat tail container turned over and they have run amuck,

I planted one small cattail in a wet-plant area last August. I had a liner in the ground to hold the water in. This year I dug it up and found that that single cattail spread to make 8 of them. Its amazing how fast some plants grow.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have 2 koi but seems my female is much bigger than my male and they were the same size 10 years ago .My female is 2 ft long and the male is only around 15 to 18 inches long

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
likestolearnalot.................can I call you LA for short cuz that handle is a mouthful :D

Reaction score
biggest koi i ever saw was 20' just kiddin they do get quit lrg though i hear they can weigh over 60lbs kinda like a whale in your pond right!!
Oh my! had me scared there for a minute! lol
Seeing a whale jumping around in the back yard might be kind of interesting...lol

Reaction score
A skimmer helps on collecting leaves and other debris that float on the surface of the pond. They are generally set on the side of the pond and have a weir that allows water to flow through. The water then passes trough a basket that traps the debris and a pump is installed behind or below the basket. The pump will pump the water out of the skimmer box and then the water from the pond flows into the skimmer box via the weir. A skimmer is also a great way to hide the pump and plumbing. However keep in mind that if the water level of the pond drops down just a few inches, the skimmer will run dry and your pump can burn up. It is a good idea to install a automatic refill device in the skimmer that will prevent the water level in the pond from dropping.
I have a 1,500 gallon pond located under 3 gigantic pecan trees. Not the best place in the world but I don't have any other options on placement. I was always in a never ending war with leaves in my pond. I can't complain because of the placement of the pond but sometimes I would spend 2 or more hours a week just cleaning leaves out of the pond. Then three months ago I installed a Hagen Laguna Skimmer Filter. This will handle up to 4,200 gph and was about $150 on Amazon. Since installing it, I have had very little debris settle into my pond. I have just a 1,100 gph pump in it and it works great. Now I just have to empty the basket once a week and I'm good to go. I get to spend more time enjoying the pond instead of maintaining it.
I'm liking this idea. I think I'm gonna check out a skimmer. Our pond also is located under 3 pecan trees! We actually have 14 total in our yard..never a shortage of pecans here...lol

Reaction score
Welcome likestolearnalot for one they should have told you your pond is too shallow for koi especially if you suffer severe winters in your neck of the woods.
4ft is the minimum depth 5ft the ideal depth our own is 4ft deep you can get them deeper than 5ft , the deepest weve ever seen was 6ft but they are very few and far between.
Koi are an ideal choice but hey those who know us know Val and I are koi nuts of 27 years standing :cool: (y) yes we love our koi :)
The phrase they will grow to the size of your pond is somewhat confusing what they should be saying is they will reach their full potential of 3ft in a lage pond ,:) :COOL:
(Aaron you say you have pecan trees near your pond did you know that trees will actively seek out water with their roots and it has been known for them to tap into ponds through liners):(
Regular water changes will help with the koi , do you have any drop test kits for your water perameters i;e Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, Ph, Kh, Gh.:)
Cleaning the debris and detritus should be done on a regular basis by pond Vac if you dont have a bottom drain especially prior to the winter, your filters should also recieve regular maintenance as wellagain especially prior to winter (thats if you rn them throughout, some folk because of their winters turn theirs off ours runs 24/7 365 days of the year):cool:.
Koi are considered as plant wreckers in the UK we sort of have formal ponds with nothing but koi in them but the good people on this site will probably say that they are OK with them personally we prefare non .;)

Dave;)
We are in the deep south and were told 36 was good for koi. So far we havent had a problem with them surviving the weather, thank goodness. Wow 3 ft would be really big but thats still better than the image I have in my head..lol Thanks for your input.

Reaction score
I planted one small cattail in a wet-plant area last August. I had a liner in the ground to hold the water in. This year I dug it up and found that that single cattail spread to make 8 of them. Its amazing how fast some plants grow.
I'm telling you those little suckers can get away from you quick. But the upside, the grandkids love to have sword fights and spread the fuzzy stuff all over the place! lol

Reaction score
I have 2 koi but seems my female is much bigger than my male and they were the same size 10 years ago .My female is 2 ft long and the male is only around 15 to 18 inches long
Wow, those are a nice size. How do you tell the difference between the male and female? or do I dare ask? lol
How big is your pond? Right now we are about 10" and the pond is 20-25'

Ask a Question