heron attack hopefully stopped in time?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i went outside to have a smoke, and caught a heron in my pond.. my fish are so spooked they wont sit still long enough for me to count them.. if i so much as move my head they scramble...@#$% i am pissed off!

BlakeA

koiboy
Reaction score
Wow, i know every since i filled my pond with water, multiple hawks, or some type of bird, have been gliding around the field next to our yard, and i've been thinking of making some type of screen to lay out over my pond. Of course i would only do this at certain times, and i plan to make it very easy to roll back, or move when i want to enjoy my pond, but i think some type of chicken wire, with some type of frame wouldn't be too much hassle for night time with the raccoons and during the day when im asleep, and everyone is at work would be ok.

Maybe like some type of foam, that could cover the edges of the wire, so the loose ends wouldn't scratch you, and it would roll up quite nicely, and i could tuck it under some bushes, or behind a tree, to stay cosmetic about it.

Reaction score
Went out this morning to the pond about 5:30 am and quess what! :banghead3:A heron had landed in the yard near the pond. He flew off as soon as I open the door. I believe the fishing line I have strung up kept him away from the pond.:banana:

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i am contemplating that route too... less noticable than the netting...im also thinking about making my net frame and putting some legs on it that will slide down over some rebar staked into the ground. so its elevated about a foot above ground.

Reaction score
Around here, the ponds I have seen have a random array of fishing line. Everyone says it works wonders.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I don't think it will do much to discourage the raccoons. They are pretty focussed on a meal when they show up. They usually don't move until they hear the rifle.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
WELL the piece of crap was back this morning... ms.""DAISY" got him to leave real fast.!! Fast enough to slam into the fence trying to get in flight

Reaction score
For Herons you can string fish line, since they land away from the pond and walk up to it.Since their legs bend forward it hits the line and they can not cross.When I built my large pond I did so without ledges just so they can not wade in.They will come back exp. now that he knows there is a food source there. I use on the little pond what they call bird netting for fruit trees its like 6 bucks at Walmart. You can see through it and it keeps all kinds of predators out, Including snakes. I like Blake have been having to deal with hawks there is a family of them across the street its where they call home.But back to herons even if your fish is to big for them to get they can still stab them with their beaks and if it don't kill them it can cause infection in the fish which can lead to death.Just keep a sharp eye out cause he will come back.

Ask a Question