Heron attack

Reaction score
I woke up this morning and looked out the back window at the pond like i usually do. This time i see a tall white sihlouette standing next to it. So here i am at 6am running through the backyard in my boxers chasing a heron away. Im sure that was a great sight, lol. Luckily he didn't nab any of my koi. If he got anyone it was just a couple comets. So out came the pond net and I covered everything up. I do have heron statues and those have been working for 2+ years. They didn't fool this one though. Time to start looking at anohter heron control method as I really don't want to constantly leave the net over my pond.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
You don't have to camp out
just raise your window a little bit

Reaction score
I have a Friend of mine that used 100 lb fishing line that he strung across his pond, He says it seems to work anyones thoughts on this idea.

Reaction score
bought the Scarecrow about 10 days ago. Watched it work on the heron last week--it landed, walked toward the pond and scarecrow fired-->heron departed.

So, yesterday morning's head count = down one new 8 inch doitsu platinum Koi and one old time goldfish.:)

i don't know what happened or how. Scarecrow is turned to max sensitivity and checked daily. working. so, is it :1) heron got used to it, i.e. does it need to be moved around? 2) spray is too high and doesn't hit the bird (i've seen 3 U-tube videos of the Scarecrow working and none where the water actually hits the bird.) 3) another creature?

I saw the heron yesterday as I was putting the screens back on. So I think it's the heron. It's been over to my neighbor's pond too.

Now I'm torn between next solutions.

1) buy the new electronic deterrent with a flashing mirror, strobe light and audible alarm and move it around. (moving it will be easier than the hose connected scarecrow.) Cost $115 at a local shop, but would it work?
2) wait, stalk and Beeman airgun w/scope. the one i have is a smaller version at only 600 fps. don't think it will be enough, but would definitely cause discomfort. Option is to buy 1200 fps beeman. Cost between $150-200.
3) design easy on easy off net set up and put it on EVERYTIME we are not in the back yard.
4) tie or fence a dog to the deck adjacent to the pond when we are not there.

Local Koi dealer has a really nice 11 inch Yamabuki Ogon for $125. I'm down three fish now and really would prefer to buy a fish over a deterrent for crying out loud. Like many of us here, I am really frustrated.

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
Make some pvc frames and cover with netting or window screening. I used screen to cut down on the sun as well. I have 3 that can be moved pretty easily to mantain and feed. When I am having guest over I just remove them all together and prop up behind my shed.

rdk

Reaction score
I made a fence cover made of metal and plastic pipe that I can partly remove. It is painted black ,hard to see and the fish love it to death because they feel safe 24/7. Look up removeable fence cover on this pond forum for a picture. RDK

Ask a Question