Heron? Bullfrog?

Reaction score
I have an approx 2500 gallon fish pond with at least two dozen comets goldfish ranging in size from two inches to about 6 inches. I went out to feed them one morning recently and felt it strange because they usually hear me coming and gather at the side of the pond. Not a one showed up and after investigating found that every one had just disappeared overnight. The pond has been flourishing for two years with no problems. Although I suspect a heron I also noticed today (a week after) a large bullfrog, It just doesn't seem right that even a heron OR a bullfrog could eat that many fish in such a short period of time. Any ideas, anyone?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Where do you live? Herons usually do not fish after dark. A Bullfrog could not eat that many fish at one sitting, I don't think. sounds like an otter or some other night foraging critter.

Reaction score
Where do you live? Herons usually do not fish after dark. A Bullfrog could not eat that many fish at one sitting, I don't think. sounds like an otter or some other night foraging critter.
I suppose, if a heron, it could have gotten them early evening or very early morning when I wasn't paying attention. I live in eastern North Carolina on a nature preserve near a creek. Have many leopard frogs but this is the only bullfrog I have seen. I do see herons along the ditches and swamps nearby but have never seen one where I am before. Just seems odd that any creature could have gotten them all at one shot!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I would suspect a heron over a bullfrog. A heron could easily wipe out two dozen comets in one sitting. But addy makes another good point - any chance it was an otter or kingfisher? We even have mink here in northern IL that will empty ponds in a single night.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
When the heron was coming to visit here, it only got a few fish. The rest would hide in the deep. There is no way it would be able to empty my pond in one visit. How deep is your pond?

Reaction score
I would suspect a heron over a bullfrog. A heron could easily wipe out two dozen comets in one sitting. But addy makes another good point - any chance it was an otter or kingfisher? We even have mink here in northern IL that will empty ponds in a single night.
Thats what i think as well..... heron..... we do have a few otters that occasionally appear in the creek as well as beaver but i have been out here on this 6 acre plot for 10 years or so and never have seem one on my property... also it seems that if it was a 4-egged creature there would be some sign as the pond is edged with pebbles and much vegetation and i haven't seen a thing in "disarray".... anyway, I have a friend with a pond who has given me several nice size comets to start my restock.... I did have two beautiful Koi a foot long that I had raised from little ones but "murdered" them by accident when using a chemical to clear a algae..... oh, well... live and learn!

Reaction score
When the heron was coming to visit here, it only got a few fish. The rest would hide in the deep. There is no way it would be able to empty my pond in one visit. How deep is your pond?
The pond is 24 inches deep......

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The pond is 24 inches deep......
humm perfect walking depth for a heron. I have seen them at dawn, dusk, middle of the day even january once, in the snow.

Mine drops to 5.5. feet deep

I keep a wide weave fishing net over it year round now. Around 3 feet over the water, not real noticeable and it does not trap smaller critters.

Amy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Sorry about your losses. Hope it was a one time thing. I have been very concerned about predators, as everyone I tell of my building a koi pond warns me about herons!!

Reaction score
Sorry about your loss. I have been battling a heron for months. He once ate 11 goldfish before I caught him. I would estimate he's probably eaten about $600 worth of my fish over the past 8 months. Maybe more.

I just ordered a net off Amazon to protect the fish.

Reaction score
humm perfect walking depth for a heron. I have seen them at dawn, dusk, middle of the day even january once, in the snow.

Mine drops to 5.5. feet deep

I keep a wide weave fishing net over it year round now. Around 3 feet over the water, not real noticeable and it does not trap smaller critters.
I really don't want to use a net.... but may have to... lol

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Do you have any hiding place for your fish? A tunnel or a cave? Although the heron is such a skilled, patient hunter even that may not help. And once they find you, it can be tough to convince them to move on.

I used to love to watch them fly over... pre-pond!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
David
Sounds like a Heron to me and yep one could eat all those fish in one feast. I didn't want to use a net either but had to finally. It works great!
I have it up high on the posts and then it hangs down on the sides and is attached to the top of a little wire fence so the cats don't get tangled in it. They did when it hung to the ground.
IMG_5317.JPG

Ask a Question