JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Seems like something a Heron would be capable of more than any other animal (other than humans) which is also a possibility.

Reaction score
David
Sounds like a Heron to me and yep one could eat all those fish in one feast. I didn't want to use a net either but had to finally. It works great!
I have it up high on the posts and then it hangs down on the sides and is attached to the top of a little wire fence so the cats don't get tangled in it. They did when it hung to the ground.
View attachment 75307
Thanks for your input. Yes, I may have to resort to the net. I hate too since i now have the pond well landscaped. We'll see!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have the same net set up jw does, it is not real noticeable and you can easily lift it to work on the pond. The herons quit coming around once I put it up, they fly over almost every day.

Reaction score
POND.jpg
Thanks to everyone for the input!!... attached is a view of my pond,,,,

Reaction score
Do you have any hiding place for your fish? A tunnel or a cave? Although the heron is such a skilled, patient hunter even that may not help. And once they find you, it can be tough to convince them to move on.

I used to love to watch them fly over... pre-pond!
The only "hiding place" would be among the 4 or 6 pots that contain plants at the bottom of the pond..... do you think a small flue pipe section would offer any protection?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
View attachment 75351 Thanks to everyone for the input!!... attached is a view of my pond,,,,

Very nice view of your pond and love it all................except the rain.................we get too much here and as I am looking out my computer room window I see it is invading us once again :eek:

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
David, I don't have fish but in all the reading, most people, depending on what kind of fish you have, recommend something without sharp edges so the fish don't hurt themselves. I'm not sure how sharp the edges are on a flue pipe. I have seen a lot of people recommend milk crates though. Good luck but it does sound like you need something for the fish to duck and cover under or in.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
He could glue that plastic stripping stuff that goes on the edges of car doors if its too sharp on those flues.

Reaction score
David, I don't have fish but in all the reading, most people, depending on what kind of fish you have, recommend something without sharp edges so the fish don't hurt themselves. I'm not sure how sharp the edges are on a flue pipe. I have seen a lot of people recommend milk crates though. Good luck but it does sound like you need something for the fish to duck and cover under or in.
Edges of flue pipes are not "sharp"..... no more than a rock... and could be easily smoothed up more with an old file.... '-)

Reaction score
Very nice view of your pond and love it all................except the rain.................we get too much here and as I am looking out my computer room window I see it is invading us once again :eek:
Been raining her for a couple days... getting some more now...... i like it to rain for a couple days because it tops off the pond and I don't have to replenish with the hose..... I get a lot of evaporation since I have a long pump-fed stream that circulates the water..

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep my fish don't mind the rain at all and it does top my pond off A LOT................just don't like it when it tops me off too. Plus you prolly live in some nice hot dry place like Texas or ?

Reaction score
Yep my fish don't mind the rain at all and it does top my pond off A LOT................just don't like it when it tops me off too. Plus you prolly live in some nice hot dry place like Texas or ?
No... I live in eastern North Carolina.... hot and humid.... often have long dry spells, though.....

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Figured it was somewhere hot. All the hot people here love rain. All us cool ones love the warmth :cool:

Reaction score
My pond is 3' so I cut a 5 gallon bucket to 2/3rd's and camo'd it with liner and rock I also have a cave dug into the side with slate over it. Your pipe sounds good, another easy shelter is a "table", bricks laid long ways for legs and a large flat slate on top. Provides shade also. I fear the bird!!! My pond is only 3-4 weeks old and I run out and count my 4 fishies and 12 minnows every morning and night.

Ask a Question