Heron deterrent UK

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I have a newly built pond.....3ft above ground and it hasn’t taken a heron long to find it..! I was led to believe herons like to wade into ground ponds not land on the side of above ground ones, not true...! We caught him on our wildlife camera but I’m sure he hasn’t got any fish as yet. Anyway with all the conflicting advice out there is there something that REALLY works? TIA

Attachments

• 7B2EE73C-4D0C-4A82-8609-4C8DCDB69DC0.jpeg
    7B2EE73C-4D0C-4A82-8609-4C8DCDB69DC0.jpeg
    66.1 KB · Views: 267

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
A net. I fought the heron using a ton of different methods, for years, nothing worked for any length of time until I hung a wide weave net about 2 feet over the pond (in ground). That finally stopped them, they could not strike through the net and reach the fish.

I used wide weave so I would not trap the frogs, small birds that visit the ponds.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wish I could but my pond is not set up for anything to be built over it.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I put a pergola over mine and hung netting vertically. Works great. No herons and I have the net setup so I can easily fully access the pond.
I’m thinking a pergola in the spring, have just ordered the round plastic pond protectors? Will try them if not will definitely be getting a net as always seems to come up as the solution

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1601574564759.gif
@Linnett
It was a net for me, nothing else worked. A pergola would be nice too but I find they will land and just walk in under something like that perhaps especially if they have been there before.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We all have the threat of herons regrets or osprey.. fortunately these are all larger birds and need a open flight path. I have removed this or at least made it much harder navigate. And like was mentioned they will also land further away and walk in they are very patient animals and can be quite resourceful.
A simple fishing line rope and or wire can be a deterant for these birds . And like someone else mentioned I used golf netting verticaly around the pond in essence making a open top Avery. Only the osprey can come down to the pond verticaly in a dive. But they need a runway away from the pond to thevertical walls of net and or string can solve this problem

waynefrcan

19 years ponding and hopefully 4 more!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
A net. I fought the heron using a ton of different methods, for years, nothing worked for any length of time until I hung a wide weave net about 2 feet over the pond (in ground). That finally stopped them, they could not strike through the net and reach the fish.

I used wide weave so I would not trap the frogs, small birds that visit the ponds.
A net is the best. Mine has stopped hawks and herons. It has 2 inch squares and doesn't look to bad either.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I also use 2 inch netting but I use it as a vertical wall creating a court yard sorta speak . And from 30 feet away from the sitting area you actually have to look hard to see the net . Proof is found in my build in the link below.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Looks like I may be back to the drawing board with my vertical net solution around my pergola. I have sheets of 5" netting hanging around the pergola. Thought it was a solid plan until this weekend when I found a young deer tangled in the net. Not sure what I am going to do. Probably have to brainstorm over a few beers this weekend.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I would attach the net to something so it is taught instead of just hanging loose. I have mine attached to a short wire fence that goes around the whole pond. That way perhaps the deer would feel the resistance and not try to push into it. Not sure about this as have never had to deal w/deer.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I used fishing line and just strung a few lines criss crossing pond and now the herons leave my fish alone!

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi all, I have a newly built pond.....3ft above ground and it hasn’t taken a heron long to find it..! I was led to believe herons like to wade into ground ponds not land on the side of above ground ones, not true...! We caught him on our wildlife camera but I’m sure he hasn’t got any fish as yet. Anyway with all the conflicting advice out there is there something that REALLY works? TIA
I have used a net but the herons and cormorants went straight through it. Found the cormorant swimming around eating my fish. Now I use a pitbull x dingo, works real well

Ask a Question