Heron deterrent UK

Reaction score
Country
United States
I used fishing line and just strung a few lines criss crossing pond and now the herons leave my fish alone!

I took my net down and am giving a try with the fishing lines. Certainly not as effective as I can always find places a crafty bird will find a spot to land.
I really wanted the net to work, but after that deer got stuck in it, I don't want to have that happen again.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I took my net down and am giving a try with the fishing lines. Certainly not as effective as I can always find places a crafty bird will find a spot to land.
I really wanted the net to work, but after that deer got stuck in it, I don't want to have that happen again.
I imagine that was upsetting for both of you.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a visit in the first week of putting fish in my pond. Then I put a solar powered animal scared in place. It flashes and gives out high pitched sound when any movement is detected. 2 years now and no more visits. I keep a check on the monitor is working, the least movement, even branches blowing in the wind sets it off. Seems effective.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:) we don't have any we're 800ft up a mountain. Sitting by the pond yesterday, a little vole climbed out of the stone wall and entertained me, I have a friendly robin too. Covid and lockdown have encouraged us up the garden, can spend all day in the arms of nature. Fish are so relaxing arn't they.

waynefrcan

19 years ponding and hopefully 4 more!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I used fishing line and just strung a few lines criss crossing pond and now the herons leave my fish alone!
Yes that alone stopped the herons most of the time but not 100%. And it was a pain in the butt to keep running properly. Plus I went for holidays and the hose came loose and flooded the yard and got $250 extra water bill.

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I have the net strung tight so little birds won't get caught but if you are in a wilderness area they can trap other animals. Did catch a baby magpie the was still to dumb to understand netting like the adults. Tough little thing but got released ok.

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I have used a net but the herons and cormorants went straight through it. Found the cormorant swimming around eating my fish. Now I use a pitbull x dingo, works real well
What kind of net?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I REMOVED the flight path herons are less than graceful and agile. Osprey can dive vertically but need a horizontal path out. i used a golf net to the open part of my yard so if they land in the back yard they can't walk in the golf net is from the ground to 12 feet high but you can look right through it from a distance and not even realize it's there

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all, I have a newly built pond.....3ft above ground and it hasn’t taken a heron long to find it..! I was led to believe herons like to wade into ground ponds not land on the side of above ground ones, not true...! We caught him on our wildlife camera but I’m sure he hasn’t got any fish as yet. Anyway with all the conflicting advice out there is there something that REALLY works? TIA
We have an annual visitor who would lunch on our koi and goldfish. We tried a sprayer (it broke, twice), we hung netting (ugly and obstructed view of fish), and a few other things that didn't work. Finally, a friend recommended the Koi Kastle and it has worked perfectly for the last 3 years. It's just a half-pipe of wire mesh that the fish learn to hide in if any predators come by. We strongly suggest that you get one.
1607108638405.png
1607108638405.png

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Fish caves of any type are indeed helpful. However, herons are crafty hunters and have successfully fished clean lots of ponds that have fish caves. They fish the natural ponds in our neighborhood daily so we have had lots of opportunity to observe them. They will stand stock still for hours, until the fish either forget they are there or think they have left. I have also seen them regurgitate food on the surface of the water to lure fish to the top. This would be particularly effective in a pond where the fish are accustomed to being fed. Stringing fish line may work in some cases, but I've seen videos where the bird just carefully steps around the fishing line to get to a hunting spot. The water scarecrows work for some people, but raise your hand if you would be the one who would forget it was on and spray yourself! That would be me!

They are clever, clever birds. Once they find you, they have onboard GPS - they will never forget. I think a well placed net is probably the only 100% sure fire way to keep them out of your pond. We have only had one land in our yard in the 8 years we've had our pond - and we have many many herons, egrets and even the occasional cranes that fly overhead daily. He observed the pond from the neighbor's roof for days before he finally made an attempt. But he only stayed a minute. I think the fact that our backyard is small with a lot of overhanging trees and a six foot fence all around meant he didn't have a great take-off and landing space and that may have been a deterrent... but that's just a guess.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I believe you have a limited flight path for a large bird with your pond set up don't you @Lisak1 ? your pond is recesed from your back yard and the vegetation looks like it wouldn't be all that easy for a large bird to maneuver in flight.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I believe you have a limited flight path for a large bird

Yup. See my last sentence in my post. I think he finally got up the nerve to come down off the roof and then realized he was in a tight set of circumstances. I was surprised to see him in our yard at all, but I'm sure those fish looked mighty tasty from on high!

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I have a plastic net that floats on the top of the water. We tried a few things to keep the Heron away but he made short work of all but one Koi and one Goldfish. The plastic net has about 1 inch holes and about 3 feet wide. Its fairly ridged and since its black it almost disappears . This year I also added some black die to the water. Heron came to have a look a couple of times but never landed in the pond.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I fought the herons for 3 years, they came almost every day. They would land in the back field, take 30-40 minutes to walk up to the pond. Then circle it looking for the best strike spot.
I had one wade in the walk in area, doing a stir up of the bottom the fish came running like they do when I walk in the pond. As I ran out to scare it away it snatched a fish and took off.
I tried fishing line, lots of fishing line and the heron made it into the pond.
The only thing that worked for me was a wide weave net hanging about 2-3 feet over the water.

Ask a Question