Heron got all of my Koi

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a, 6b
Country
United States
Hey everyone, very upsetting summer for me. My pond is 5 years old now, and this is the first instance of a Heron pillaging my pond. I saw him flying overhead one day, then the next day sitting on top of my neighbors shed, which is about 20 yards from my pond. Soon after that, my beautiful fish began disappearing. I happened to look out the window and saw him sitting right on a ledge overlooking the pond, I ran out and chased him away. At the time, I had 3 of seven koi left along with some comets I had for years. Now those three are gone as well. I would hate to put a net over the pond because it distracts from its beauty, so does anyone have and sure fire tips on how to prevent this from happening again? I've heard about a decoy Heron, but didn't see any reviews. Thanks for any and all input .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You could possibly build a trellis like gazebo over your pond. I think you will still need a fence around the bottom tho as these birds will land and walk right in. Also they will fly over the fence if enough room for their wings. I had to resort to a net finally after trying a lot of other ideas. @brokensword made a nice looking total enclosure for hers. It works to keep bugs and birds out. See below:

pond cover idea.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
current vids; post #7973

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I'm so sorry to hear this! I had one stalking my pond a few days ago and I put the net up asap. But not before I saw him get my biggest fish, darn it! This is a picture of my net set up. It is easy and cheap and does a good job of directing the leaves down to the ground where I can easily blow them away for clean up.
IMG_2113.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United States
I wonder if any ponder has ever deliberately made a heron pond, and just kept it stocked with inexpensive feeder fish?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
they will still come to your nice pond....................

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Agree with everyone else once the heron finds your pond the only truly fool proof method is to put up a net. All the other methods, ie decoy, scarecrow, noise makers, shiny moving objects, they will eventually figure them out.

There are ways to make the net less obtrusive, ie use a black wide weave net, string it up high on cables so it can be moved like a curtain. This way when you are out there you can move the net out of the way and enjoy the pond without looking through a net.

Pics of the pond will give everyone some ideas on what to suggest be it a net or a screened in structure like brokenswords.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a, 6b
Country
United States
I'm so sorry to hear this! I had one stalking my pond a few days ago and I put the net up asap. But not before I saw him get my biggest fish, darn it! This is a picture of my net set up. It is easy and cheap and does a good job of directing the leaves down to the ground where I can easily blow them away for clean up.
View attachment 142535
I'll probably have to consider doing this

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I wonder if any ponder has ever deliberately made a heron pond, and just kept it stocked with inexpensive feeder fish?
Newsflash!!! Just in!!! There HAS been a pond built for just this reason!!! Check it out!!! Tried to slide one by us, didn'tcha @GBBUDD ???? :p:p:p

Looks like you got some heron fatboys, there, GB!! Don't have to worry about your catfish anymore, hey?

heron fatboys2.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You trying to curse me @brokensword !!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll slice your enclosure. Naa your fish did not harm ill just have to break your fingers so you can't photo shop any more

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If your area around the pond is wide open then covering with a net is close to the only option . But if it's some what in a tight area removing the flight patch for the birds to fly away yes away then you may not need to cover the pond osprey eagles even herons can fly into a tight area but not one can fly out vertical they need a long flight patch to get to flight and they know it so they will not go into an area as described.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I didn't mean to suggest making a heron pond as a way to lure herons away from another pond. I just wondered if a ponder/birder ever built a pond to use as a kind of birdfeeder.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@Marck we like to change things up a bit now and then, live on the sunny side of life :smuggrin:
I bet there are people out there who do have this kind of set up but I think they might go broke replenishing fish for them every day.
1631035182865.gif

Ask a Question