Heron has attacked :(

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys
Fairly new to this forum and only had my pond for 3 months.
All seemed to be going well, I had a mixture of 12 fish swimming happily about (9 goldfish and 3 shibunkins).
However rather upsettingly all but one have vanished since last night, I am assuming a heron is to blame.
I thought I'd placed quite a lot of hiding places in the pond, caves, plants, stones etc but obviously this hasnt worked well enough.

What do you guys find to be the best heron deterrant? I will get a net if need be but I'd really rather leave the pond looking as natural as possible.

I'm assuming whoever is to blame will keep coming back now they know there is food available!
I'm absolutely gutted!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If it is a heron, a net is the only thing that stopped it from fishin in my pond. I put up a wide weave net about 3 feet over the water surface, slightly hanging down on the sides No more heron and the net is not that obtrusive, all other critters can get into the pond, frogs toad, small birds etc.
net.JPG

slakker

AKA Mike
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
We had a heron come by and took a few fish, lucky we only had them for a short while... but still not good and very sad to lose the fishes. What I did was sting up fishing line above the pond area and it's been a year (knock on wood), but the herons never returned. It was recommended by the local pond guy, he could guarantee it'll work as herons can still land in the yard and hop up, but that exposes them more so may deter them from coming.

You can just make out the lines in the picture below. I wanted to do it this way as I like the aesthetics better than having a net over the water.

10291699_10152299874201408_8421521079182057899_n.jpg

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I tried fishing line, darn heron went right though it. got its feet tangled up did a header into the pond, floated around stabbing at the fish. I gave up and went to the net, no more heron.

slakker

AKA Mike
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
I'm surprised you had a heron issue slakker. I though an above ground pond would be deterrent enough.

Yes, we were having dinner when my wife screech "Noooooo!" and ran out the door, I didn't know what was going on until I looked out the window and saw a heron standing on the stone ledge. The cheeky thing just flew to the neighbors roof and wanted to stay there, we had to scare it away.

I put up the line the next day and it's never been back (crossing fingers).

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We watched three fly over us today, our net will never come off.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Yes I think the net is the only way to eliminate all possibility. I saw a hawk circle three times with the net in place with me in the yard. Its also possible you have more fish in there than you think. They stay hidden for a long time after an attack.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Hi guys
Fairly new to this forum and only had my pond for 3 months.
All seemed to be going well, I had a mixture of 12 fish swimming happily about (9 goldfish and 3 shibunkins).
However rather upsettingly all but one have vanished since last night, I am assuming a heron is to blame.
I thought I'd placed quite a lot of hiding places in the pond, caves, plants, stones etc but obviously this hasnt worked well enough.

What do you guys find to be the best heron deterrant? I will get a net if need be but I'd really rather leave the pond looking as natural as possible.

I'm assuming whoever is to blame will keep coming back now they know there is food available!
I'm absolutely gutted!

I actually have some netting I'm not using. Its heron netting and will keep them out. Covers about 8x8 but I've stretched it farther than that. If you would pay for shipping I'd be happy to send it to you. PM me if you are interested.

Ask a Question