Heron Head Size ? it's a legit question!

Reaction score
So, I have over the years been having a periodic heron problem in my back pond that hugs up against my house and deck. Years back at the first attack... i lost a few fish.... So i took the day off of work and waited for him the next day. I got a nice bucket of water splash on him and yelled like a mad man. He didn't' come back. A few years after that... i would get more and more visiting... so I ended up doing the fishing line fence around the pond.... but their a bridge so I had to make a gate of sorts to get through... but my boy isn't the best at putting it back up.

So ... since the pond is modern looking with hard edges... i figured doing a black vinyl coated cage on top with wood trim wouldn't look too bad. I would have legs on the opposite side to keep it nice and parallel with the deck surface. For the larger section I would have a portion of the cage that I could hinge up like a trap door to get to the water if needed. I would have this cage raised off the opposite side to some extent so that frogs could come and go as needed.

Question 1- I was going to go with wire vs netting on the frame... thinking that the herons would potentially try and walk on the netting and get stuck. Is this a valid concern? Netting would be less obstructive.

Question 2- If I go with wire... what's the largest opening I could use that would block the heron's head from going through? I could go with 2x3, 1x2, or 1x2

Attachments

• IMG_8207_zpsf7bd9b92.jpg
    IMG_8207_zpsf7bd9b92.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 333
  • IMG_8210_zpsd880b4c2.jpg
    IMG_8210_zpsd880b4c2.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 347
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Beautiful pond ! I've read where it's important to raise the net, as a heron can stand on it and stab the fish through it....killing the fish, just not able to eat it :(

I'm in Cincinnati too, welcome :)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I would use 1"x1" metal mesh if you are gonna have it low. A herons beak can go through a net easy if low to the pond. They can't get the fish out but they can still stab it if you go w/larger holes. Then you will end up w/wounded fish that will eventually die prolly. Now that I'm looking at it even the 1" looks like a Heron might be able to get part of his sharp beak through. Maybe go even smaller. The higher up you can raise it the better.

91cDEcTDmyL._SL1500_.jpg

Reaction score
Thanks. I will admit that the posted photos are from the year I built the pergola/deck/pond. So it looked it's best. 10 years on... it's a big duller and has had many restaining going on.

Anyway.... looking at netting... the good type is pretty thick.... to the point that vinyl coated metal wire fence is about the same look. And since the net would flex with a heron stabbing down into the water... I guess I will go with the wire 1x1.

With that said, how close to the water's surface do you think i could safely get? 6"

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I think 6" might be ok if you do the 1" but a foot might be better. The birds head is bigger than 1" for sure. The beak starts out so small tho and it's pretty long but gradually gets bigger closer to the head. Never measured it halfway up. You might want to do a bit more research on how high to have that net up. I think it would be pretty hard for the bird to maneuver through those holes tho.

jpt7308-ps.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
@Nevermore44 If you want a net to stop a heron but still view your koi may i suggest a net made by a UK company by the name of Norfine Nets , their company is based in Norwich UK .
They do all sorts of nets all are made to last and are as far as I believe of a woven type giving them extra strength against heron's
Norfine nets can be reached via their website and do export around the world , they will build to your specifications and even add bungee straps that are made to span the pond and then when tightened lift the net clear of the water and holds it there for as long as you want .
Their web address is as follows :-

http://www.norfinenets.co.uk/

high-tenacity-netting.jpg

You can see strength it would have against herons in this type of mess with the red netting it being woven .
However We used this net bellow as a heron couldn't even gets its beak through it and again is a strong net ,.
It is what they term 6mm Hex Net ., they also export koi nets etc .

6mmhexmesh_lge-FS.jpg

We hope this helps you in your quest to stop herons snacking on our beloved koi and goldfish .
I feel they are fare more advanced than metal netting which could injure some creatures, sorry @j.w. but I really did my home work on nets when we first moved outdoors you cant fault them..
Being suspended above the water by the bungee straps they cannot stab any unfortunate fish swimming by .

Dave 54

Last edited:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
It's ok @Dave 54 I've never used a metal net. He has a different set up tho then our ponds. His is a deck pond and thought he wanted one he could lift off if he wanted to easier. I think he's building a frame and either way metal or not the smaller the holes the less the bird can get it's beak into especially if it's going to be lower to the pond level.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
The nets by Norfine nets can also be fitted with a bungee strap that will allow the edges of the pond to be tightened securely around any frame he wishes to build j.w. this is why Norfine nets can be found in many shapes and forms from fish nets to pond nets even floating inspection nets and thats just for fish .
They cover birds and many other uses

Dave 54

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Says they supply to the UK and Europe but nothing about the U.S.A. Look like nice nets tho.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Have you considered lowering the water level a little over a foot lower than the deck?

I did that with my pond (stone instead of wood) and it worked great. I dont even need netting. The rat bastard herons can't get to my boys :)

Reaction score
Thanks for the info all. Measuring out the pond last night... it's 105" x 86" at it's largest area.... my concern with any type of netting, even if I pull it fairly taught over a frame... would be the bird walking out to to the very middle and it then sagging down so that the fish could be stabbed at. FYI.. apparently the internet does have everything... it says that the culmen (tip of beak to the feather part of the head) is 12.3–15.2 cm (4.8–6.0 in). I would think at a 1x1" opening... they can't go too much farther then that distance. So I'll go for 8" depth at this point.

Tex... I can't lower the water or the liner would start to show.

Last year when I had a strike, the fish were skittish for almost a month... they wouldn't come up for food when i was around and would just hide in the depths or under the bridge. I know they are just doing their thing... but I might have to get a plexi mask and break out some padded clothing and go heron tackling... throw him in my trunk and drive him down to the river to give him a stern talking to.

My brother had an town home years ago that backed up to a large natural pond/lake area that would be filled with migratory birds and the like. And the typical mallards and geese. Come spring when they babies were walking about .... he would watch herons come in and snag them up in groups.

Reaction score
Okay… so I found out that going the welding route and fencing will cost much more then what I could get by the banker.

So looking at options… I got confirmation from a few net vendors that their nets could easily support a 8lb bird on them spanning the largest section of 90x55”. In regards to the frame material … I found black extruded aluminum square tubing that you link together at joints with plastic connectors … for a decent price as well.

So my plan is to make the aluminum frame.. And then add many small stainless steel screws to the underside which I can pull the netting taught onto.

Ill follow up with a pic once it’s done.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
have you considered extending the pergolas roof line? Extend it about 5 feet past the pond and that will help to deter a fly by bird as he would have to be directly over head to see it and then move you bamboo matt that's hanging to the new roof line incorporating the pond under the new pergola roof line i'd rather have a modification to the pergola then to look at netting . It certainly won't blend with the bunshwa you have going on. Nice job by the way .

Ask a Question