Heron horror stories?

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Yesterday we went out on a skipjack cruise in St. Michaels. We had a very small group on board so the captain spent a lot of time telling stories of his time on the water. He gets to see all kinds of water birds and was talking about herons. It seems that he and some of the other captains have noticed that the herons are now landing on the water to catch fish, possibly because of all the competion from eagles and osprey.
Also told us about a friend who lived on the water and had herons that he would hand feed. Story was that one day while feeding the herons, he dropped a fish and when he went to pick it up, the bird lunged for it at the same time and killed the man. Not sure if I believe that one or not- could just be a fish bird story- you decide!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
utoh, guess I have better quit feeding them! I could see it happening, they have strong necks and sharp beaks.

I have my pond, even deep end, netted so there is no way they could land on the water now. They still fly over, but have not stopped to visit ................yet!

slakker

AKA Mike
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
That would be a freak accident I suspect... heron lunging and hitting a major artery or something, can't imagine it was on purpose.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
He claimed the birds beak went thru the mans eye into the brain. Funny thing is, something like that should show up on the internet somewhere. Could be true tho-

slakker

AKA Mike
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Now I doubt that to be true... it's doesn't sound like natural predatory or attack behaviour for a heron to a human... but makes for great story! Instead or shark week's shark-topus or shark-nado... they can make a shark-ron or her-shark! LOL...

Ask a Question