Heron netting 101

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just had a thought. Maybe a pergola over the pond and attach netting to it? Trying to envisio if it would look good over my pond. What do y'all think?
Pic of my pond and a pergola pic.
20160825_123641.jpg
tropical-garden.jpg.cf.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
That would look wonderful @gliebig ! Think you will still have to use netting tho as Mr Heron will walk right in. You wouldn't need it over the top tho. Maybe a fence,screen or something around the posts?

Reaction score
Country
United States
If I were to just build a frame and net the perimeter of the pond, would I really need a top covering? Since heron hunt from the ground, they wouldn't dive bomb from above, correct?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If I were to just build a frame and net the perimeter of the pond, would I really need a top covering? Since heron hunt from the ground, they wouldn't dive bomb from above, correct?
no mine have flown in and landed in the pond, they have also stalked the pond from ground. When I had a small plant island in the pond they flew in and landed on it to fish, and it was a small plant island. No more island.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
We put up a shade sail a couple of years ago, due to the loss of a large shade tree. I think it obscures their view of the pond from above. In addition to the shade sale, I still used an ugly net !

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
If you build a frame and have boards all across the top then they can't fly in but wonder if they would land on the top and then be able to just jump glide down? Not sure how they would get out then either. If you have no top they will just fly right in and land on your rocks or anything that they can stand on. You gotta have something over the top.

Reaction score
Country
United States
How successful have people been with just using the fishing line? I assume the bird will find a way to eventually get around that?

Reaction score
If you do the pergola route... you could space the top layer fairly close to keep any herons out. And ... i see some of those pre-made pergolas that they have at the BB stores with the the screen "drapes" on the sides that hang down. You could do something similar and do a access side where the drapes overlap some in the middle.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
How successful have people been with just using the fishing line? I assume the bird will find a way to eventually get around that?
I think w/the line the birds can't see it that well and think they can just fly through and end up crashing into the pond anyways. Maybe if you hang a bunch of stuff on it so the bird can see it then it might work. @callingcolleen1 uses a system w/lines and hanging things. I just prefer using the net as I know it works for me w/my situation.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had a fishing line fence, spaces 6 inches, fishing over the pond spaced close, a real pita to put up and a real pita to work on the pond.The heron went through the fishing line fence and the fishing line over the pond. Never stopped it.

Reaction score
Country
United States

I noticed the lines going across these ponds. Doesn't look good enough to keep birds out, but what can you do with a pond that size anyway.?
Is that fishing line or something thicker?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States

I noticed the lines going across these ponds. Doesn't look good enough to keep birds out, but what can you do with a pond that size anyway.?
Is that fishing line or something thicker?

That looks like some kind of heavy nylon cord. I have seen koi ponds w/that before and perhaps it may work. That cord is easier for the birds to see than the fishing line.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm finally getting around to putting a pergola over the pond. Hopefully, we'll be getting started next week.
So excited to get rid of this ugly net over the pond, especially since I've been hanging out by the pond a lot more....thanks quarantine. :)

So my plan is to hang wider mesh netting vertically so it won't obstruct the view and I can lift/slide the net away when I'm out there.

Could someone post a link to where I can get custom netting made? I know I saw it before, but I can't find it.
Also, if anyone has ordered custom netting, how long did it take to get delivered from time of order?

Thanks,
G

Ask a Question