Heron Stop

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I have a blue heron that visits my pond every now and then for the couple of years. I thought the plants covering the plants would be enough to deter him, but he was back yesterday. I thought he got all my fish again, but at least some of them were smart or scared enough to hide. I know they sell decoys, but I was wondering if a pond spitter/fountain sprayer type thing might deter him. Any suggestions??

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I had to resort to a fishing net that I have higher up on fence stakes. covers from top to ground. Otherwise I would have no fish!
IMG_8656.JPG

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Second what has been said, they will figure out decoys, getting blasted by water from a motion detecting sprinkler. They are smart, patient birds.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Agree! Nothing works against the bird other than a net cover...some decoy might seem to do the job, but it is only a matter of time before they are proven to fail

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm sorry about your fish. The hurons just see food when they see your fish and they are are almost impossible to stop without a net.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
A large heron just discovered my pond yesterday. Bummer! Got out the leave netting, but wondered if the heron would\could get tangled since it is black and hard to see. Do i need to put on some thing on the top of net so it's more noticeable?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The herons have not been back since I hung the net. Before that it was a daily visit.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Haven't see them around here in quite awhile. I reinforced my net today by weaving some rope to the posts. Last year the snow stuck to the netting and pulled it down to the water. Maybe this today will help.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have my mesh about a foot above water but one of my koi still got pecked on the head a couple of days ago.. the fish seems to be fine, it eats and acts as if nothing is bother it, and the small hole is not bloody anymore, it turned dark and seems to be shrinking, must not be very deep, but it still bothers me that no matter what I do that bird still harms my babies!

We noticed the low flying over the house, it was definitely checking out the new pond we are building cause even if it's not done it does look like a pond when it retains all the rain water....but we never thought it could be a threat to the other pond, we've never seen a Heron around since we covered it with that hard mesh, goes to show you how persistent a Heron can be:(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
pond netting #2.jpg pond netting #1.jpg View attachment 115487 View attachment 115487
No, once they hit that net, they get the idea. How far above the water do you have the netting?

the netting is about 2 feet on one side but is about 6 inches above the plant shelf on the low side (see pics). I am going to raise the net about a foot above ground so he can't reach the edge of the pond (and remove chairs since that was a short term panicky stop gap). He is very bold and sat on the split rail fence yesterday about 50 feet from where I was sitting on the steps on middle deck and we played possum with each other. I did put some landscaping tape and some light weight balls on the top of the net, so I assume he knows there is a net, but I'm guessing if he stands on the cap stones, he can pierce the net with his beak, right?

I'm hoping since Herons are wading birds, that if he can't reach the edge of the water (i.e., the rock cap stones), he will give up. He came back once yesterday and twice so far today. Good news is that he hasn't actually eaten any fish. Middle of pond is about 3 feet deep. Plant shelf all around about 8-10 inches under water line.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I have my mesh about a foot above water but one of my koi still got pecked on the head a couple of days ago.. the fish seems to be fine, it eats and acts as if nothing is bother it, and the small hole is not bloody anymore, it turned dark and seems to be shrinking, must not be very deep, but it still bothers me that no matter what I do that bird still harms my babies!

We noticed the low flying over the house, it was definitely checking out the new pond we are building cause even if it's not done it does look like a pond when it retains all the rain water....but we never thought it could be a threat to the other pond, we've never seen a Heron around since we covered it with that hard mesh, goes to show you how persistent a Heron can be:(
That is horrible ! I know what a nice welded mesh cover you have too! Any chance you could raise it up a bit on some legs, or do you feel that would allow other predators access?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
That is horrible ! I know what a nice welded mesh cover you have too! Any chance you could raise it up a bit on some legs, or do you feel that would allow other predators access?
You got it, the raccoon would love it!

Because we have not seen a Heron flying low over our house since we placed the mesh over the pond, , we are hoping the bird tried, gave up and will not comeback

Ask a Question