Heron

Reaction score
Hello:

I have a gold fish pond and have just been visited by a heron who ended up eating several of my fish.

I have a statue of a heron I put out by the pond and move every few days as I was told they will stay away when they think another bird is there. That isn't working.

Does anyone know of any other methods, short of putting up a net, that will help keep these predators of my fish away?

Thank you,

Bill Gauhs

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
you CANNOT use a decoy heron now... its mating season... wait till july now is the only time they tolerate eachother.. when mating season is over they become highly territorial.

Reaction score
I am having the same prob to. I put a piece of foil on the grassy patch where they like to land to see if that works for me.

Robyn

A Ponder-ing Newbie
Reaction score
Cross-posting to help you all out:
found these three alligators that looked real enough that I do not consider them eyesores:

http://www.lochnesswatergardens.com/...oy_p/93000.htm is a segmented full alligator. If you only weight the center segment with a single line... it should swim convincingly!

http://www.toysplash.com/productinfo...2&cvsfp=121484 is a rather cute gator head with baby sitting atop.

http://stores.channeladvisor.com/Ari...?itemid=387000 is segmented as well. At only a foot long, I am not sure it would deter a heron. It would look great to go with the head I mentioned above!

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
bgauhs said:
Hello:

I have a gold fish pond and have just been visited by a heron who ended up eating several of my fish.

I have a statue of a heron I put out by the pond and move every few days as I was told they will stay away when they think another bird is there. That isn't working.

Does anyone know of any other methods, short of putting up a net, that will help keep these predators of my fish away?

Thank you,

Bill Gauhs

Welcome, please put your location in your UserCP for future reference.

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
ive heard that the best heron deterant is an owl !!!
now i dont know if this works but someone i know has a huge koi pond. says herons never come visit his pond since he bought one a couple of years age

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I have had one for over 10 years by my pond. All it does is gather dust. The Egrets, GBH and raccoons just ignore it. Other birds stay away though.

Attachments

• Owl.jpg
    Owl.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 271

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
Stroppy..i saw one that was motion activated...the head turns and it hoots, is that the one your freind has? i think it was at Meijers

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Mine hoots and has an Infra Red detector that activates it. The eyes light up red as well. Doesn't fool anyone. Harbor Freight sells them for $19.99. It is called harold the Owl. It's a hoot! LOL

I just discovered another one at HF, if you search owl there you will find both. This other one looks like an owl in flight and might work since it is animated by wind currents.

Ask a Question