Herons!

slakker

AKA Mike
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
I think a heron came and took 3 fish last weekend… The local pond/koi guy said to try spider-webbing some fishing line over the pond as birds can see it and will be reluctant to land or get under it as they can take off easily… let's see if it works…

I think it looks better than the pond netting and cover that goes close to the water…

10703932_10152291866921408_5300215886190836062_n.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I used the fishing line, the heron dove right though it, got its feet tangled did a nose dive into the pond, shook off the water and flew away sagging its wings as it flew.

For me netting is easier, the fishing line caused me all sorts of issues trying to net out the pond, clean the lilies etc. But I only like that wide weave fishing net that jw and I use.

Good Luck! once they got a fish they will be back. I fought them for over two years, the netting finally convinced them to go elsewhere.

Reaction score
UGH!!!! I just went through this. I put up fishing line, didn't work for me. He just landed near by and walked up to the pond. I watched him several times to try to fill in with more line where he was coming in - never worked.

I got a net finally.

Good luck to you. I agree with not liking the net, BUT I like my fish better.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hang sparkly things on the fishing line, I have read that gets their attention also in a negative way.

slakker

AKA Mike
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Someone also recommended a lifelike heron statue, apparently they are solo hunters and avoid others except during mating season... not sure, but hope this line thing works... otherwise, I'm getting up "sharks with frick'n laser beams"! LOL (Austin Powers reference)

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The statues work, sometimes, but you also need to move them around, herons figure out the statue is fake if it never moves.

My floating gator head worked for a while too, until it figured out it stayed in one part of the pond, so it fished from the other end. Added another head, and it fished between the two.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They are super neat pretty birds, but not when stabbing the liner, putting holes in it, snatching fish etc. If they just stopped by for bugs all would be good.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It would be neat if there was a way to train them to feed but not in the pond. Like a Pavlov's Heron. Omg I'd be rich if I could come up with that solution.

Reaction score
It would be neat if there was a way to train them to feed but not in the pond. Like a Pavlov's Heron. Omg I'd be rich if I could come up with that solution.

Oh your enthusiasm reminds me of me. How I loved those birds, so crafty, so majestic ...... somewhere around the $600 mark of missing fish, my heart turned.

I had even wondered if we (me and said bird) could come to an agreement on type of fish he was allowed to eat - but we couldn't.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Our heron lands in the back field and takes around 30 minutes to walk up to the pond. It walks very slow and steady, then takes another long length of time to stalk the pond trying to get to the fish.

Neat article so true

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
The heron that come here now is so frustrated. He lands walks back and forth around the pond w/ the high netting and turns away and takes off. Haven't seen him here but saw him across the road the other day at the neighbors. My neighbor has fencing, electric shock wire, netting...............who knows maybe even mines that will blow up when you walk over them :eek:

Ask a Question